Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude, these older engines are extremely difficult to work on, particularly the turbo. Plus, the engine is an extremely tight fit, and of you're going to pull the engine, it may be worth it to pull the trans first.

I don't work on many 7.3's. for whatever reason they just haven't come my way very often. But I got a 95 in my bay right now, and it's a mofo. I will never work on another one again. Send that sh*t to some other sucker down the road. I learned my lesson, and learned it well. Lost my ass this week thanks to this pos.

End rant.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I agree the turbo ped on the obs is a super PITA!!
Everything else on the engine seems pretty straight forward
At least you do not have to remove the cab!?!?!

Not many 95 any make or model on the road anymore that do not require some sort of major re hab
Hang in there, sometimes we win, sometimes they do but we must persevere!!

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny note. The chick that owns it came in yesterday to check the progress. She took one look at it and started balling. I mean actually crying and yelling at me. Why? Because her hood is laying on top of her roof.

No joke. I swear to God that happened yesterday.

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
If it were easy women and monkeys would be doing it

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
True. But there are some makes and models that are just no fun. This is definitely one of them
I put a hybrid turbo from riff raff on my 96, and it is super easy to remove and install in under 30 minutes if need be.

But it is a Ford so not alot of repairs need to be done

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree the turbo ped on the obs is a super PITA!!
Everything else on the engine seems pretty straight forward
At least you do not have to remove the cab!?!?!

Not many 95 any make or model on the road anymore that do not require some sort of major re hab
Hang in there, sometimes we win, sometimes they do but we must persevere!!
Actually, that's exactly what I'll be doing next time. If ya lift the cab, maybe a foot or so, you could then lift the engine up and get the oil pan out. Course you need a two post lift, if ya don't have one then you're burnt. Also, you'd have to pull it on your back, but would totally be worth it.

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
Remove the radiator, coolers and core support, out the front it comes

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
Can't. Not on the earlier ones. The core support is welded on there. You have to pull the radiator and squeez it out. And the fit is ridiculously tight.
My 96 was bolted, that sucks it is welded

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Oh c'mon, I've pulled the motor in my 96 3 times, and by the 3rd time I had it down to 3 hours, from open hood to on the stand. Left the trans in there, unbolted the core support from the fenders and just pulled the core support forward, leaving it attached at the frame. Then I worked it up and forward enough to get it to fit. The 2nd time I even left the turbo on. Its not that hard.

Hardest part was the fuel lines every time, the 3rd time i ended up having to cut the line with snips because I couldn't get it off!

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 96 was bolted, that sucks it is welded
God damnit, I just went and looked, you're right, it is bolted. I don't know why I thought that was welded, f*ck me.

Oh well, that actually wasn't even the hard part, that turbo was. Luckily the core support only cost me maybe a half hour all together.

It was mostly the turbo and getting all the silicone off. Also noticed, nothing is machined. Like the coves where they meat the pan, or other places too. Usually those are machined surfaces. No wonder ya have to use silicone.

·
7,985 Posts
if there is sillycone, that is why it is leaking.
the 7.3 used a special pan sealer.
and i will take a 7.3 over any of the other monstrosities any day of the week. so much easier to work in than the newer engines if you know what you are doing.

i remove the nose and have full access to everything.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I too dislike the early 7.3 turbo . Stupid design. The last one I did I was able to use 1/4” drive swivel head sockets . It’s still aggravating but it works .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
God damnit, I just went and looked, you're right, it is bolted. I don't know why I thought that was welded, f*ck me.

Oh well, that actually wasn't even the hard part, that turbo was. Luckily the core support only cost me maybe a half hour all together.

It was mostly the turbo and getting all the silicone off. Also noticed, nothing is machined. Like the coves where they meat the pan, or other places too. Usually those are machined surfaces. No wonder ya have to use silicone.
No worries, try to talk them into a hybrid turbo next time. They are easy to do

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 7.3 is a walk in the park compared to the newer 6.7's. I just finished doing up pipes, manifolds, turbo and a delete on a 2013. If the rear clamp is not to rusted that turbo should be out in 20 min.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A 7.3 is a walk in the park compared to the newer 6.7's. I just finished doing up pipes, manifolds, turbo and a delete on a 2013. If the rear clamp is not to rusted that turbo should be out in 20 min.

The OBS 7.3 is definitely not a 20 minute turbo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
My hybrid will be off in 20 minutes, and that includes drinkin a Coors Light

1 - 20 of 30 Posts