Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coworker has an early 99 and the tstat is leaking when it heats up. He replaced the tstat and new oring and it still leaks. I have never had this problem with mine. Any ideas??

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The upper housing is bent, it's very common to tighten down the bolts too tight and it pulls the tabs down and creates a leak.

You can try straightening it, buy a new one, or put some sealer on it, preferably something like The Right Stuff.

Dave

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Get the billet housing from Dave at Dieselsite.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking something like the bent thing. I told him to check it with a straight edge and have not heard back. Thanks for the tips.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Dont bother wasting money on a new ford one. They are stamped and they are chit! I went through exactly what you are talking about. Changed my water pump and reused my old one. Big surprise it leaked. Bought a new one from ford big surprise it leaked!. I used grey RTV sealant and let it dry overnight. I cant stress the drying overnight part enough. I tried it after a couple hours and it leaked. Tried it after sitting all night good to go!:D Haven't lost a drip in well over a year. Or get the billet housing from dieselsite it looks good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont bother wasting money on a new ford one. They are stamped and they are chit! I went through exactly what you are talking about. Changed my water pump and reused my old one. Big surprise it leaked. Bought a new one from ford big surprise it leaked!. I used grey RTV sealant and let it dry overnight. I cant stress the drying overnight part enough. I tried it after a couple hours and it leaked. Tried it after sitting all night good to go!:D Haven't lost a drip in well over a year. Or get the billet housing from dieselsite it looks good. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The reason it leaked with both the old and new housings is because you overtightened the bolts. I've had several people do this, I just straighten the ears out and bolt it back on for them, no sealer, and it no longer leaks.

The first several waterpumps I did the housing leaked too, until I realized the bolts didn't need to be super tight. Haven't had a problem with one sealing since.

Dave

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't do it! But I talked to my friend and he said the overtightening thing is a definate possibility. He over does things a little,

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
His originally may have started leaking because it corroded around the seal area, or the seal rotted out.

My mistake, your buddy overtightened it. ;) LOL My Dad is the say way. :doh:

Dave

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had the same issue when i installed my new billet housing. It had a slight leak it might have been because someone....... over tightened it i dont know. But i did take it off and reseal it with some RTV and it hasnt leaked again yet.

For how cheap it is i would just put a little rtv of some kind on it to be safe.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. I think he'll get it right next time however he decides to go.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
I call B.S. Yes overtighting will bend the tabs. I posted on here after my original one leaked. Everyone said "DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT":blah::blah: So I went to ford and got a new one. I looked at it and it wasn't straight either. But I listened to everyone on here and I DID NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT and the piece of chit still leaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So to say "do not over tighten it" is B.S. LOLYou could put it on from hand tight to the torque spec and it will STILL LEAK.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I call B.S. Yes overtighting will bend the tabs. I posted on here after my original one leaked. Everyone said "DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT":blah::blah: So I went to ford and got a new one. I looked at it and it wasn't straight either. But I listened to everyone on here and I DID NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT and the piece of chit still leaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So to say "do not over tighten it" is B.S. LOLYou could put it on from hand tight to the torque spec and it will STILL LEAK.
LOL You can call BS all you want, I've installed over 2 dozen while re-using the old outlet and a few using a new one, all leak free.

I will say about 1/2 of the ones I've fixed after someone else monkeyed with it had the cheap auto parts store thermostats and non-integrated o-ring, which could be part of some people's problems getting it to seal. I always use a new Ford stat with the integrated o-ring, and dial in my "click type" torque wrench arm before I bolt it all back together. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe that's it, he bought the tstat and oring from a cheapo parts store.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
The new Motocraft design O-ring that wraps around the themostat looks like a way better set up then the old way.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The new Motocraft design O-ring that wraps around the themostat looks like a way better set up then the old way.
Yes it does, it eliminates the chance of the o-ring being pushed out if you set the outlet on crooked.

Dave

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Not taking anything away from Bob at Dieselsite but my billet t-stat house leaked too. I put a little black hi heat Permatex around the mating surface, not alot, just a small bead and let it set for about a half hour then installed the billet housing, its been leak free ever since. Permatex it for good measure, stamped steel stock or new billet, my .2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts