Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The problem nobody had heard of...

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  1970something 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys, I'm totally new this so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place or whatnot... bare with me, I'm not a mechanic by trade, just eager to learn and fix my truck!

I have an 06' F250, I was coming home from vacation and I started hearing a horrible noise that I honestly have no idea how to describe, made it all the way home and it was leaking transmission fluid like a stuck pig. My dad and I decided to take it apart ourselves and have, of course, come across a problem that no shop where I'm from has seen happen before...

The nuts holding the torque converter to the flex plate were all loose, except for one. Out of the 6 nuts holding it, one was missing, 4 you could turn with your fingers, and the one was still hangin on for dear life. When we backed the transmission off the flex plate, one stud fell off the torque converter onto the ground. I'm guessing the one nut that was missing came off the broken stud on the back of the converter. so of course all the holes on the flex plate we wallowed out from the vibration. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this happen? The shop ordering my parts were really shocked.

On a different, yet similar topic, I have an SCT X4 programmer (that i honestly don't know much about, I know e on Me!!)... since my batteries have been disconnected am I going to need to reprogram my truck? -figured you guys would be quicker than Google :smile:

See less See more
#5 ·
I've never seen it happen with the factory torque converter nuts. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it is unlikely.

The factory nuts are torque retaining. They will hold torque even if they are not all the way snugged down. These are one time use nuts. They lose their torque retaining properties after one use and MUST be discarded if they are ever removed.

Standard nuts will fit on the studs and can come loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.