Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics I grabbed off another site of the 3rd. I.D. Tomb Guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington during the blizzard that hit D.C. last week. Completely needless to say, they didn't abandon their posts for one single second, no matter how crappy the weather got.

·
Registered
545 Posts
They never have and never will. They were offered to leave during a hurricane. NOT ONE SINGLE MAN stepped forward to leave his post!

They are the elite of the elite.

They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. They cannot swear in public FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way.

These are men that know, understand and live the real meaning of commitment.

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
They never have and never will. They were offered to leave during a hurricane. NOT ONE SINGLE MAN stepped forward to leave his post!

They are the elite of the elite.

They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. They cannot swear in public FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way.

These are men that know, understand and live the real meaning of commitment.
Just curious why they can't drink or swear for the rest of their lives? Not knocking their decisions by any means, just curious. Its awesome what they're doing!!:bowfast::bowfast:

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious why they can't drink or swear for the rest of their lives? Not knocking their decisions by any means, just curious. Its awesome what they're doing!!:bowfast::bowfast:
Actually that's not quite true--the Tomb Sentinels are some SERIOUSLY hardcore troops but those bits of info are false:

FAQ

·
Registered
920 Posts
I really appreciate there dedication. I wish we had more traditions like this in our country, maybe then folks would appreciate the sacrifices others have made.

·
diesel and nothing else
1,620 Posts
i did not know all the fact,s of the tomb, but i must say they are the elite.
The dedication they show is just mind blowing and i pay my highest respects to all the folks in the armed forces.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
I was impressed that they can even take back the badge the soldiers wear from that duty. IIRC, in the history of The Old Guard, there have only been about 17 guards have their badge removed.

The guards on duty do have a small building they can use if the weather gets really, really dangerous (like wind blowing them off their feet, lightning, etc...), but they are still in sight of the tomb, and are still considered on Guard Duty.

I want to see the changing of The Old Guard sometime.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was a Marine stationed at 8th and I in washingto DC..... I was part of the "Yankee White" program, (presidential support duty) i was sent to camp david for my duty...... if you ever head to dc for a vacation.... the changing of the guard is pretty neat, but check out the friday night parade at 8th and I or the sunset parade at Iwo Jima memorial..... it includes the USMC drum and bugle corps, silent drill platon, USMC color guard, and the other marching platoons. all these units are very well trained and very discplined groups....I am proud to say I got to see and serve with them. my boss now is former old guard.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It is a monument not just to the Unknown Soldiers that reside in those tombs that gave their life so you could sleep through history class. It is dedicated to all of the soldiers that have given their life in defense of this magnificent country.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
whats in the tomb?
sorry i slept my way through history classes
http://www.tombguard.org/

Now read up on it and learn about it.and don't ask such stupid questions. Learn why you got to sleep through US history class. Learn the sacrifices and dedication that the men and women of the US armed forces have done over the years. Stop going through life without any knowledge of where we've been and what this country has gone through for ignorant people like you that just sleep through life.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts