Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post up about what is going on with my truck. I'm sure someone out there wouldn't mind reading about it.

I started off as one those "I'd never own a 6.0" guys. Then a deal I just couldn't overlook popped up on a 2003 F-250 ECSB 4x4 6.0 truck. I picked up the phone, made a deal and had the truck shipped in.
I knew at some point I'd have to do what I am doing to it now anyways. Well, last week on Monday night I got in the truck after it had been sitting for a while and I am pretty sure I had lost the EGR cooler. Tons of white smoke. I turned around and brought it back to my shop.
I had most of the parts all accumulated so the next day we pulled the cab off. The guy that works for me wanted to pull the motor. I made the final call and we lifted the cab.
That afternoon a friend came down and him and I tore the motor down.
I sent the heads out and got them back last night.
We have slowly been rebuilding the rest of everything over that time and putting things back on the motor.
The only thing holding me back is the PowerMax turbo(also have a BatMoWheel on order) and my injectors which I sent to Jess at Warren Diesel.
I hope to have it back up and running some time next week.

Here is a break down of what I am doing:

Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler.
New oil cooler.
Dieselsite coolant filter.
New Ford head gaskets.
ARP head studs(torquing those down was fun).
Ford "blue" spring fuel upgrade.
6.4L banjo bolts.
PowerMax turbo with a BatMoWheel.
Warren Diesel 175cc/75% injectors.
5" MBRP turbo back exhaust.

I am still undecided on who to have make me some tunes(haven't really put much thought in to it). I am open to suggestions. I would need a couple as I will be plowing with the truck and some light towing. From what I gather just about everybody uses SCT, correct>???

Also undecided on gauges. I was thinking about maybe the Edge CTS monitor. Open to suggestions here as well.

Comments, questions or advice; post up!

Now on to the pictures(some aren't the best quality, all cell phone shots)!!!

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Nice build! Just wondering why you kept the EGR cooler? As for tunes SCT and chose your tuner, my vote goes to Eric at ID.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I currently run KEM tunes on my sct and my truck ran well... We sell KEM, Gearhead, and Innovative... Let me know if you need some pricing...

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice build! Just wondering why you kept the EGR cooler? As for tunes SCT and chose your tuner, my vote goes to Eric at ID.
Thanks!

I don't keep vehicles very long and if I want to sell it down the road I was hoping to keep it as close to legal as I can. I've sold stuff all over the country.

I also became a dealer for Bulletproof and want some first hand knowledge of their product. Maybe expand my business a little bit.

They seem to have a good reputation so I see no reason why I would regret keeping it. I would ASSume I can still turn the EGR functions off in the tuning if I so desire.

·
Registered
772 Posts
or just unplug the egr... but with most tuners they can turn it off. That does not prevent it from failing though. a good friend of mine has 170k on his truck and over 100 on his bulletproof cooler and original headstuds with a superchips! well looks like you did it right the first time!

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or just unplug the egr... but with most tuners they can turn it off. That does not prevent it from failing though. a good friend of mine has 170k on his truck and over 100 on his bulletproof cooler and original headstuds with a superchips! well looks like you did it right the first time!
Oh, I know it can still fail but the whole idea of the Bulletproof cooler is that it won't. LoL. I mainly want to turn the EGR off to keep all the soot out of the top end.
I also want to have first hand experience of a product I may be selling down the road.

Doing it right the first time is the only way to fly. Especially on something I am going to have so much time and money invested in!

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Good point. keep up the good work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Put the aluminum slug available on Ebay for $59 in place of the EGR valve, that will keep the Exhaust pressure from forcing the EGR valve open, easy to remove to sell later.

·
Registered
922 Posts
sounds like fun! interested in seeing what that set up will run since thats the injector and turbo i wanna run as well. ive got a bullet proof egr and love it! same reason as you if i sell it i can take the tuner off and basically sell it as stock since i wont have to say there is a delete on there or anything. as for unplugging the egr valve there have been test that show that the fan clutch might not operate properly when this is done. just turn it off with a tuner and its basically like a delete but you keep the emmissons guys happy as well. im sure you already know that but just a heads up for someone else that is reading this

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think we should take those gay running boards off when the cab goes back on.

·
Trade up playa
323 Posts
Looks good, good luck.

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made some more progress. Got the injectors back and installed. PowerMax and BatMoWheel are installed. Also bought Driven Diesel regulated return and got that one.
We should have all the other minor things finished up tomorrow and hopefully have the cab back on tomorrow night or Thursday.
Crazy busy at the shop and I keep ordering more parts so this project has been dragging on. I need my lift back though, running with only 2 sucks!!!

More pics:

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
I say vivan at quick tricks and get a sct livewire 9600 it has gauges and a tuner all in one I'm fixing to order one up

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
While vivian is a great tuner, I wouldn't recommend a livewire for a tuner. They are big, bulky, and look like chit IMO. I am a HUGE fan of the CTS for monitoring duties unless you want gauges. IMO you are best served with a SCT SF3 and Edge Insight CTS with EGT probe and fuel pressure setup. JMO.

Great build by the way. I am curious to hear how the 175s with 100% nozzles work out for you.I would think they should be just the ticket and would say with the right tuning you should easily be over 500rwhp.

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a HUGE fan of the CTS for monitoring duties unless you want gauges. IMO you are best served with a SCT SF3 and Edge Insight CTS with EGT probe and fuel pressure setup. JMO.
HaHa, that is the EXACT setup I ordered. Should be here today.

·
1,549 Posts
Well I honestly believe you will like it. I really like the CTS unit for monitoring duties. I wasnt a huge fan of gauges so that is why I went with the CTS and I feel it is one of the best upgrades I have done to my truck. Hope everything works out for you.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
While you can in fact turn the EGR function off in tuning, it can and will still be forced open at some point, so as long as exhaust gas is flowing through that cooler, you will still get crud in the intake.

Great build by the way. I am curious to hear how the 175s with 100% nozzles work out for you.I would think they should be just the ticket and would say with the right tuning you should easily be over 500rwhp.
Not going to be 500rwhp with 175's and a powermax... no way. The powermax will be the limiting factor here. I would guess closer to the 460-475 range.

·
1,549 Posts
Not going to be 500rwhp with 175's and a powermax... no way. The powermax will be the limiting factor here. I would guess closer to the 460-475 range.
Well I dont want to get into a pissing contest over a theoretical outcome and while I would agree if he only had say 50% and even 75% nozzles but he does have 100% nozzles and with the proper fueling and tuning, apparently this setup has already produced right at or over 500rwhp. I will let 04stroker chime in on this more but the long and short of it is that he should be right at 500hp with the right tuning. Yes the PM is the limiting factor with that being air flow up top.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts