Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to write a paper on the manhattan project for school. nothing to big just had to be 2 pages long. this is what i came up with
input please
thank you

The Manhattan Project, the code name given to the creation and testing of the United States’ first nuclear weapons. The project was started because of the rising fear that Nazi Germany was developing nuclear weapons of their own, The project began on September 17, 1942. At the head of the project was physicist Robert Oppenheimer and general Leslie R. Groves, they had recruited some of the United States’ best scientists, engineers and mathematicians, several European scientists aided in the project as well including Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard. The project then moved onto three key sites; Oak Ridge, Tennessee; Hanford, Washington; and Los Alamos, New Mexico. The Oak Ridge laboratory was the site used to produce enriched weapon grade Uranium- 235 while the Hanford laboratory was used to produce weapon grade plutonium. After the fuel was produced it was shipped to Los Alamos where the weapons were assembled. Los Alamos produced a total of four weapons, one was used for the trinity test, two nicknamed little boy and fat man were dropped on Japan, the last one was on call to be dropped on Japan, however it never was.
The trinity test was held on July 16, 1945 during the test they only tested the implosion-type bomb because the “little boy” gun-type device was so simple the chief engineers were confident in its success, it was sent to the pacific without ever being tested. The implosion style was far more complex and required more then laboratory testing before it would be comfortably used in combat. The location chosen was a remote corner on the Alamagordo Bombing Range known as the "Jornada del Muerto," or "Journey of Death.” It was 210 miles south of the closest city, Los Alamos. The scientists were unsure just how big the explosion or the amount of radiation that would be released into the atmosphere, so the army was on standby to evacuate the nearby cities and towns. By late evening of July 15, the Gadget, as it was nicknamed, was lifted to the top of the 100-foot firing tower assembled approximately one mile from a mock town built to demonstrate visually the damage the bomb can do. Even with all the preparation, there was still some doubt that the weapon would work at all, in fact, Robert Oppenheimer himself had bet $10 against George Kistiakowsky's entire month's pay that the bomb would not work at all.
The test was scheduled to begin at 4:00 a.m. however, due to rain, the test was pushed back an hour and a half. Because of the delay the tension grew ever more. They tried to relive the stress by making friendly bets with each other. Enrico Fermi began offering anyone listening a wager on "whether or not the bomb would ignite the atmosphere, and if so, whether it would merely destroy New Mexico or destroy the world." While they were betting with each other Edward Teller was making everybody nervous while he was applying liberal amounts of sun screen.
At precisely 5:30 a.m. the morning of July 16, 1945 the United States entered the nuclear age. The bomb went off in a massive explosion and a heat wave tore across the New Mexico desert. Moments later the top of the huge fireball flattened out into the mushroom shape that the world now associates with nuclear weapons. After the smoke cleared it was evident that the 100-foot firing tower had been completely vaporized in the explosion and the small mock town was completely annihilated. The house that was built had been completely leveled in 2.8 seconds.
Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima, the gun-type bomb using uranium for a fuel. Inside the bomb the uranium fuel was stored as two pieces on opposite ends of the weapon in a sub-critical state. When detonated, one half of the fuel was fired at the other half, the collision created a self sustaining nuclear reaction. The weapon was 10 feet long, 28 inches around, and weighing only 9,000 pounds, it packed the force of 20,000 tons of TNT with just 140 pounds of enriched uranium fuel. Fat man the implosion-style weapon was dropped on Nagasaki. Inside the bomb was a sphere of sub critical plutonium, surrounded by high explosives. In this sphere of high explosives were 65 igniters. When fired the pressure wave of the explosion pressed the plutonium to critical mass and caused a nuclear explosion. The weapon in total weighed 10,000 pounds, was 10 feet long and 5 feet in diameter. The plutonium warhead weighed only 13.6 pounds, the enriched plutonium fuel to exploded with the power equivalent to 23,000 tons of TNT.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If that's two pages, my truck makes 600hp. :poke: You've got a really good start.
You might want to have a paragraph on the efficiency of the bombs.
Triple space and size 18 font. Could stretch into three pages. Wider margins and headers and footers.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL i know its a bit short its all i could get done tonight i got tomarow to finish it up, anyways but its better than a page. aronds a page and a quarter.... it makes 2 double spaced haha
ill get some more on the bombs, i thought it was a bit short also

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
You in College? All my papers are supposed to be double spaced, I bet your pretty close to 2. You need an outro, otherwise it looks pretty good;)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Looks pretty good!

You might could stretch it out a bit with a small discussion on fusion vs. fission.

·
Peon
727 Posts
Looks pretty good!

You might could stretch it out a bit with a small discussion on fusion vs. fission.
Nah--the Manhattan Project didn't really touch fusion so I'd skip it.

There are a ton of formatting/capitalization/punctuation errors so I hope the text you posted was a very very very rough 1st draft...

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You in College? All my papers are supposed to be double spaced, I bet your pretty close to 2. You need an outro, otherwise it looks pretty good;)
im in highschool not college, and it has to be 1.5 spaced

There are a ton of formatting/capitalization/punctuation errors so I hope the text you posted was a very very very rough 1st draft...
yeah thats just the information thrown down i still have to format it and finish it

·
Registered
987 Posts
It didn't touch it, but it'd be good filler if it's needed... explaining the two in simple terms and then demonstrating fission by walking each bomb through the atomic level. That'd be good for a 1/2 page in H.S. land.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Damn. Nice paper bud. Another fellow highschooler... I feel for ya. lol

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
If you need some filler you could also discuss how much smaller modern weapons are as well as how much more powerfull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts