Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the truck in Sept of 2010 coming from a 97 7.3. The truck already had a 4" turbo back on it. Had a high pitch noise then, not knowing if that was how the 6.0 sounded, just drove it. This summer I did the oil cooler, EGR delete, STC, dummy plugs, standpipes, blue spring, 6.4 banjos, ect. I already had flushed and filled with CAT ELC. When I installed the new up pipe for the EGR I noticed the downpipe had a small hole where it was welded to the next pipe. So my question...would this cause the high pitch noise? I looked for soot thinking it could be the y pipe, don't see any anywhere. I know the connection to the turbo is aligned and tight. I do have an exhaust smell on start up in the cab through the vents, which makes me think it is the y pipe, but why NO soot. BTW, haven't used a drop of coolant, no puking, and did replace the degas cap.

·
Registered
287 Posts
its obviously a leak somewhere. my y pipe was cracked the first time and i smelled exhaust when it started. the second time, there was a very high pitched whistle that was annoying and turned out to be the y pipe again. this summer i'll be doing the egr delete and stand pipes and dummy plugs. try plugging the whole in the dp and see if it makes a differece in sound. many people say that if their is a leak, you can start the truck when its cold and there is usually a small puff of smoke that comes from the area.

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for sure there is a leak there. The foil heat-shield is charred from the leak. Just need the time to tear it apart to try to re-weld it. Whoever installed it did a poor job!

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
I have an 06. Mine also has a high pitched noise. I know mine comes from the Powermax Turbo I installed as a replacement for the stock turbo.
Do you have a Powermax turbo? Did the person that sold it to you install a Powermax Turbo?
To my knowledge it's not obvious by looking at it. They are both Garrett turbo's and their is no name or special detail that indicates it's a Powermax. There is a part number on the turbo and this will tell you whether it's stock or a Powermax.

I have also heard that the 03 turbo's produced a high pitched noise, so one of the owners that had it before you could have retrofitted the turbo with an 03....I'm not entirely sure, but, I think it fits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts