Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You probably wont be able to do too much without actually pulling the heads to clean it all up.
I skimmed back over and didn't see any mention of it. Maybe your egr valve is sticking open?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You probably wont be able to do too much without actually pulling the heads to clean it all up.
I skimmed back over and didn't see any mention of it. Maybe your egr valve is sticking open?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I havent pulled the heads, Egr cooler failed dumping coolant into the intake. I was going to put everything back together once cleaned. Afterwards get a gauge hooked up to the coolant system to see if there is a actual head gasket issue. Didnt want to go down the rabbit hole too far just yet. I freaked out when I saw the buildup while I was cleaning the valley out. Do you think it would cause issues leaving it there for the time being?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Don't worry about the buildup too much. The crankcase ventilation system allows crankcase air to go into the turbo and gets sucked up into the engine. When it goes into the vent tube it is a mist. The turbo compresses air, and so those miniature droplets condense into larger ones. If you take off a CAC tube and see oil in it, now you know why. So, that same oil gets all the way back to the intake, and when the EGR valve would open, it would introduce hot exhaust to that already fairly warm oil. Gee, that cooks the oil and allows it to be deposited onto the nearest cooler surface. Hence all the black gunk in your intake runners. It's normal and you really can't get rid of it unless you hot tank the heads.

Speaking of suggestions, you can take care of that problem, depending on your local emissions laws and your ingenuity. Most guys just disconnect the stock tube, close off the hole in the turbo intake pipe, and then add an extension hose from the valve cover down to the suspension. This allows the crankcase to not build up pressure and no more oil sucked into the turbo. Another option is to build or buy a CCV catch can. Basically it's a cylinder put in the middle of the route (with some extensions for location) which allows the oil to condense in the can rather than in the turbo. You just have to drain the can every so often. Based on my experience, this only works in warm areas where it does not get below freezing, or in cold areas when you can figure out a way to place the catch can next to the engine to keep it from freezing up. One day my exhaust started spewing white smoke. UH OH!! Hey wait, slight blue tinge. Hmmmmm....oh, and look, oil dripping from the exhaust too! WTF?? Turns out the catch can froze up (because you're pulling excess moisture out of the crankcase too) which allowed pressure to build up in the engine. The only place it had to go was through the oil journal in the turbo bearing. Clear out the frozen bits and no more problem. Freaked me out, though! lol Since then I have yet to reconnect it because I can't find room for it near the engine.

Going back to the oil collecting in the CAC tubes, guess where else it collects......in the intercooler. Take that off and set it on its side for a while. I got quite a bit out just letting it run out. After that I put dawn detergent in there with some water and sloshed it back and forth a LOT. After getting the suds out after the third time doing that I ran some simple green through it as well.

And like someone else said (I can't go back to see who, otherwise I would tag them), the Excursions got a mix of parts. You're right in the middle, so you need to be careful what you buy. For instance, while the ICP in the head tells us you have the wavy oil lines of a late model '04, there's no way to tell what front cover you have. You may have the early style with the 90mm water pump, or the late style with the 100mm water pump. Only way to know is to take off the water pump and measure....which you wouldn't do, so you'll never know until you either have to remove the front cover or replace the pump. And yes, a 90mm will fit into a 100mm front cover, since the bolt holes are exactly the same. However, it will not pump efficiently since the impeller will be the wrong size.

I've been through a lot of this stuff since I too have an '04 (late model like yours) and have had to go piece by piece through her. So maybe check out some of my older posts....might give you some ideas and insight. And of course keep coming back with your questions!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
I dont know if this has been said but the oil drain line for the turbo was updated. If yours is the old style. I would replace it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I was finally able to get back on this project, the Louisiana weather has not been kind. Rained like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock the whole weekend I had planned. The oil cooler cover was beyond filthy. Took days to clean it half decent

Going to put a little more elbow grease in cleaning up this other stuff and start the process of putting it back together

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The pics dont show the reservoir and screen replacement. The old screen was broke which ive read was a normal. I got all of the old oil out cleaned inside the resrvoir really well, replaced the screen with the one that was in the kit. I was on nerves edge about any contamination getting inside, especially while cleaning where the housing sits and blowing the bolt holes out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The past few weekends have been busy here, dodging rain bands from the Texas hurricane the past few days. Pretty much everything is back together. I fought the belt for over a hour into the dark last night. Apparently Satan made my belt tensioner. Such a PITA! The back of my truck is loaded with oil and coolant. Im at work today, try to get it finished up this evening with some pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Those tensioners are a royal PITA. Do it enough times and suddenly you will have a feel for it. Now, I can set the position of the head on the ratchet and just about have it go in on the first try without even looking. I don't bother removing the ratchet until after I put the belt back on....unless it's a long term thing and will need it. lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Well, I got it all back together. Ive only have about a hour and a half of daylight left after work to mess with it. When I was plugging up the injector harness I noticed some wire sheathing has been rubbed off by the little vacuum actuator on the coolant line that goes to the heater core. It is in a bad spot too, right on top of the connector. Since two of the wires are showing the copper braids, Im going to splice the wires and slide some heat shrink on them. I got a fear of possibly causing a short when I go to power it back up. Other than that little set back, she is ready for the oil system to be primed and fire it up. Im excited and nervous all at the same time.

·
Native Californian
413 Posts
Good on you for tackling the work, especially ona 6.0. Here's to hoping for great results!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, I primed the oil system and all went well. Started right up, zero leaks, no CEL. About to make another order pretty soon. Going to get the hard line turbo feed, new injector harness, coolant filter, and probably going to rebuild the injectors this fall. I should have did that while I was already that far in, but funds were the issue. Thanks for everyones advice and help along the way. I will update the post with the work I do on it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts