Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried Solution Finish on the bed and tailgate caps on my 2002, it worked kinda OK for a little bit. I was probably expecting SF to do something it's not really designed to do though, these caps seem to be naturally dark gray instead of black. SF is awesome at making stuff that was black black again, but turning gray black isn't what it was made for.

So after seeing some long term testing on ScottHD's Youtube channel of trim restorers I decided to try That Black Stuff. He's got a gray panel and TBS seems to be holding up well and turned the gray to black. Initial impressions are pretty good, but seems to have maybe gone to a way darker gray, I'll let it cure and see. It's also very flat, so that also makes it look gray.

Which is where I finally get to the danged point..... anyone ever put a ceramic topper on That Black Stuff to kinda brighten it up??

·
Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
339 Posts
I tried Solution Finish on the bed and tailgate caps on my 2002, it worked kinda OK for a little bit. I was probably expecting SF to do something it's not really designed to do though, these caps seem to be naturally dark gray instead of black. SF is awesome at making stuff that was black black again, but turning gray black isn't what it was made for.

So after seeing some long term testing on ScottHD's Youtube channel of trim restorers I decided to try That Black Stuff. He's got a gray panel and TBS seems to be holding up well and turned the gray to black. Initial impressions are pretty good, but seems to have maybe gone to a way darker gray, I'll let it cure and see. It's also very flat, so that also makes it look gray.

Which is where I finally get to the danged point..... anyone ever put a ceramic topper on That Black Stuff to kinda brighten it up??
If your trying to make grey plastic black, I would just use some SEM trim black paint and paint it black.

Grey scotch bright it, use dawn dish soap and water with a microfiber towl to clean all the grease ect off. Then clean with SEM plastic prep (sem 38353) using a microfiber, then use SEM trim black (sem 39143). After that I would also put a satin clear on it (sem 13013).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts