Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my check gage light coming on followed by the tow haul flashing... but not when cold, the truck/trans. seems to warm up to the same spot with no problem then once the gage hits that mark, it trips the lights. I had done some reading and sounds like Trans Fluid Temp sensor... which is in valve body, correct? Anyhow, I bought the sensor today and was planning on doing it on saturday. My question is, #1- the pan gasket IS reusable correct? And #2, are there any special instructions, how-to's or anything I need to look for? Or just drain,drop pan and pull out or ???

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,060 Posts
A little impatient, are we? Just waited an hour for an answer. Some of us have other things to do, too.

The pan gasket is reusable. There are no special instructions. It is not hard to swap the temp sensor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOLLOL yeah.... I was a little impatient. Seems like sometimes I can post something and I have a response before I can even make it back to the forum page!!! You're right though... I was a little impatient and others do have stuff to do. Thanks for the response.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
This can also be an internal harness issue. Too many have replaced the sensor only to have to put in the harness. Unfortunately, its almost impossibly to diag since when you move the harness it will fix itself until it gets heated again and moves around.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks doug, I had actually heard that. I probably should've pulled the trigger and bought that as well... I had it in my hands and decided to opt for just the sensor. I guess we'll see... I could still go grab it i suppose... if its highly adviseable? It just seems like its not an intermittent problem. it does this at exactly the same temp every single time I drive it. Never really comes and goes. But, it will suck for sure to do it, only to find that I still have the same problem. I dunno, I'm torn now....Hate to just throw parts at it though....????

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... I said the heck with it! I only want to do this once so I went back to dealer and got the harness. Might as well just for peace of mind. Especially with the price of that fluid!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it all done!!! sensor and harness. all good

·
Registered
1 Posts
About to change mine as well - although mine is a bit more spotty: Temp builds to normal after cold start up, then sometime after it warms up, the gage drops to cold, "check gage" + "tow/haul" come on (no check engine light). Then it jumps back up to 1/4 of the way up (cooler than it should be), lights go off, then repeat.

Shifting is normal (maybe a little firm on 25% accel), but otherwise perfect.

The post helped me out - just wondering if there was any other heads up you had?

And big thanks to Mark - Ive been getting smart from your posts on powerstroke forums all around the net for a while, just never had a chance say thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its up to you, but I would definitely recommend doing the harness as well as the sender. Parts guy told me when I asked about the harness when picking up sender that "yeah its probably not a good sign that those 2 are on the shelf together". I guess meaning that they're usually replaced together. I'd recommend getting the sheet that shows torque sequence for valve body. Remember to take out the 22 smaller bolts (8mm I think) and leave the other ones (bigger) in there to keep the valve body sections bolted together

1 - 10 of 10 Posts