Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 F-350 DRW Crew Cab Long bed. 4" lift on 37's.
- New tranny, new ball joints, new hubs.

Truck worked fine in 2wd, put it in 4wd for the first time and it jumps all over the place. Literally the entire truck, even at 5 mph each corner of the truck is hopping/bouncing at least 2 - 3 inches.

Changed it back to 2wd and it still does the same thing!

Causation:
I crawled under the truck and the Carrier Bearing moves a good inch in all directions, but would that cause the truck to jump around even at idle speed? It does have the drop bracket to compensate for the lift. I read where people feel their carrier bearing going out at 50 mph...I can't go 10mph without feeling like I'm hurting the truck.

Also, I think my axle u-joints are gone because its "catching" my wheel and pulling my steering from side to side.

Last theory is that is it possible that the rear end blew up for some reason? It drove completely fine in 2wd, I parked it and it snowed like hell that night, put it in 4wd and it started doing what I described.

Overall I feel something is "catching" and causing the truck to stutter and bounce. I literally can't drive the truck because it's so bad.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Could a previous owner have changed the gears in one axle and not the other? That's something that could have resulted in damage to the rear gearset and the problem going on in 2wd also.

I'd be pulling the cover off the rear axle to check the gears it it were mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts