Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows should a prodigy brake controler be sending any power to the brake pin (blue wire) ant the 7 way plug with out the brajes being applied or anything hooked up. I tested it today and there is a constant 0.06V to the blue wire. Is this right?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows should a prodigy brake controler be sending any power to the brake pin (blue wire) ant the 7 way plug with out the brajes being applied or anything hooked up. I tested it today and there is a constant 0.06V to the blue wire. Is this right?
Call them up. Their tech support line is very friendly and knowledgeable. I think my blue wire had SOME current when my p3 was hooked up.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
no, you only have a aux wire in the plug that should have power all the time. Blue wire or etb wire should only have power when the switch make the circut on the pedal or when the brake is pushed in.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
no, you only have a aux wire in the plug that should have power all the time. Blue wire or etb wire should only have power when the switch make the circut on the pedal or when the brake is pushed in.
.06v is hardly anything. That wouldn't activate the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called tech support couple days ago and was told the prodigy would send a pulse every 8-10 seconds it is checking to make sure trailer it hooked up. They did not say constant voltage. I will call again tommorrow just thought I would ask tonight I leave on a camping trip with the trailer tommorrow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also my AUX plug only read voltage with the ignition on.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Doesnt matter if it would activate the brakes or not, he asked if it is right. NO its not right you shouldnt have any power coming from the pin without connecting the circuit. You should have aux all the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say AUX power are you meaning the 12V charge line?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend has a P3 I put it in did the same test wich was constant 0.03 and every 8-10 seconds it would pulse to 0.15 then back to 0.03. It seem like my truck it working to hard to pull my little travel trailer. I had all brakes and bearing checked, they were all good. Juat trieng to narrow what could be wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only have power to the charge line with the ign on

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
I only have power to the charge line with the ign on
I have it all the time in 5 of our trucks 2 of them are chebbys so that doent say much.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have it all the time in 5 of our trucks 2 of them are chebbys so that doent say much.
My E99 only has it with the ign on only. That way while your 5er is hooked up it won't drain the truck batt.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My genisis puts out a very small amount so to tell the controller that the trailer is plugged in. It has a digital display that tells you it is plugged in and functional. When unplugged it tells you you have an open (not working) circuit. Don't know about the other brands.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the help after talking to teckonsha for quite a while they don't have a real answer. They have decided to send me a replacement. I just recived it today so hopefully it will fix the problem.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
There was nothing wrong with your first controller. I had this very same issue with my old superduty and Prodigy or so I thought anyway. When you plug in the trailer plug the controller lights up with a letter C indicating it is connected. What you are seeing as voltage is 3/100th of a volt. It has that very minute voltage signal to verify that the trailer is plugged in. Your controller is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Like my genisis. Light comes on but goes off after a few min. Then when you go back and start it it will do the same. It does not stay on all the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So new conroller is in and found out the brakes on the right side were too tight. Had them adjusted and on my trip over the weekend seemed ok at first then felt like something was draging. On the way home it was realy bad I am starting to think I have some electrical problem or short. Trailer goes to shop today because I can't figue it out this is very frustrating trial is only two years old. what else could cause this problem and I have also towed trailer with 3 different trucks to make sure it is not the truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts