Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am going to begin the process of changing the inner axel seals on my 91 dana 60. Like to hear of different techniques to get the gears out.

One is to use pry bars to push them out. Another was to somehow use a towel or rag to wedge in somewhere to walk it out. Another is to use a spreader on the case but is dangerous because can warp or damage housing.

Also with installng them back in. What to pay attention to on disassembly to put back during assembly.

Any descriptions, pictures or links on these or others would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Mine came right out with a prybar.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Mine came right out with a prybar.
Mine too. But i have used the rag trick before too.

And when reinstalling use a Dead blow hammer or a piece of wood to beat against

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine too. But i have used the rag trick before too.

And when reinstalling use a Dead blow hammer or a piece of wood to beat against
Which technique seemed better, faster? How do you do the rag trick? Thanks Brad.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the pry bar, do you pry both sides same time, or just one?

Do you bother with torquing the cap bolts? if so what is the torque. Thanks again

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The rag trick

Unbolt the carrier bolts.

Take a red shop rag fold it in half and spin the carrier into the pinion. The thickness of the rag will push the carrier out

If you do the prybar deal make sure you leave the bolts threaded in 2 threads to catch the carrier

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips Brad.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made good progress so far. only had maybe an hour and half to work on it saturday. Got it down to the point of being able to pull the shafts out. The spindles actually came off pretty easy compared to others. I am not sure if they have every been off but took the nuts off, used my 2 or 3 (mabey 4 not sure) pound hammer and beat on the face of it between the studs some. Screwed on the spindle slide hammer socket, took my small auto body slide hammer, 2 or 3 pound slide again not exactly sure weight, and like 8 good hard slides and came right off. Unfortunately rest of the weekend was shot because of previous plans.

Do I need to drop driver side steering linkage from the spindle? Kind of looks like I need to for the room.

Thanks for any help.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Made good progress so far. only had maybe an hour and half to work on it saturday. Got it down to the point of being able to pull the shafts out. The spindles actually came off pretty easy compared to others. I am not sure if they have every been off but took the nuts off, used my 2 or 3 (mabey 4 not sure) pound hammer and beat on the face of it between the studs some. Screwed on the spindle slide hammer socket, took my small auto body slide hammer, 2 or 3 pound slide again not exactly sure weight, and like 8 good hard slides and came right off. Unfortunately rest of the weekend was shot because of previous plans.

Do I need to drop driver side steering linkage from the spindle? Kind of looks like I need to for the room.

Thanks for any help.

It makes thing alot easier

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what it looked like. Thanks Brad.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I'm an idiot, can't get the gears out. Tried the rag trick probably pushed it out an inch or inch and a half had the rag in a ball. Got the gear side partially out but can't get it any farther. Tried to use a crow bar to get it the rest of the way, not moving. What the hell am I missing?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What parts do you pry against? Should I knock the other side back in some and try prying the opposite side to walk it out? Probably spent over an hour trying different things. Even a YouTube search but not much useful there.

·
Mother of God!!
36 Posts
Yeah you could try that, knock the other side in a bit and then try prying the other side, and if you have a bar big enough just pry from the edge of the case, idk if that makes sense?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It has to come out square. If not you are just going to jam it up

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what is happening. I guess I will knock it back in and wrestle with it somemore. I am still not sure where you guys put the bar to pry against on either side. Hopefully I haven't F$cked up the bearing yet. It is cold in the garage, high 30's low 40's. I was thinking of taking a heating pad and covering up the housing to heat it up.

Does it go back in as hard?

·
Mother of God!!
36 Posts
When puttin it back in just pound it in with a dead blow, shouldnt have to much trouble...If it still isnt comin out you could try findin a case spreader..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts