Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just bought a late 1999 F250 ext. cab short bed 4x4 7.3. The truck runs good, has a afe intake and 4'' turbo back exhaust, with a superchip flashpac programer. The odometer reads 151,000, and it runs good on the economy tune. The concern is the transmission. I didn't notice it before i bought it, but it sounds like the torque converter is making the rattling noise at idle. It goes away around 1500 rpm in park. It shifts ok, not as firm as i would like, and it hasn't slipped or acted funny yet. The transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt, but its not the pretty red either. I have a BTS trans in my 95 F350 4x4 CC LWB and love it. So my question is would it be a waste of money to try and save the transmission and do a torque converter and valve body upgrade, or just change the oil in it and try not to abuse the truck till I can make a trip to BTS. I don't think its a factory transmission. It has a oil pan with a drain plug in it like BTS put in my 95, and theres no leaks anywere on the trans. I don't ever plan to go over 450 HP, but I like the piece of mind of knowing the trans was built by BTS. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
If you have the cash the do the bts....
But depending on the condition of clutches and other things.
But a hybird 6.0 tc or better tc will handle less then 450 all day long...a good vb will improve holding power etc...
but that leaves the 5000$ question ....will she hold. Or will something else give

My plan is just that. Better tc, better vb. Maybe add a dieselsite tranny filter, and a better cooler.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have a crystal ball to tell you which way is the right way. I can tell you to buy a good converter if you do the kit. I bought a cheap double disk converter that was supposed to have better fluid coupling and less stall than stock. The reality is that it has quite a bit more stall, and I really don't like it. Once it's in OD and the converter locks it seems ok. I just wish I would have spent the money to do a good converter like a PI Stallion or something. It's too much work to want to do it again.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Oil drain plug is not a sign of an aftermarket trans. Alot came from factory with them.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Mine has one...oem e99

·
Registered
33 Posts
I replaced my torque converter at about 150k miles due to the rattle with the upgraded ford unit. Im currently at about 200k miles and the trans is still working perfect. I believe it was about $400 at the time. I would replace it and keep driving till it dies.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Tranny mods really depend on hp level and or use.
loaded bone stock trucks have snapped input shafts loaded heavy and driven rough.
other guys have bought budget multi disk tcs and tried to run them with heavy modded engines.

People like aisley went to oreilly and slapped on thier house brand tc and have run it for years.
i liked ari units but then killapapia ran it with 238 hybirds and a gt38r and smoked it.

i would not run a pi stallionon a stock truck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So far the diamond T tc I put in is holding decent for my 350 or so horses. As to wheter its worth it for a used trans is completely depentant upon the condition of the trans now. At 450 horse you will smoke a well used stock trans regardless of the tc.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I have heard a few good coments on diamonds
who carries them?

A 6.0 stock tc will hold 450... but needs a spacer.
i wouldnt do a used one tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll plan on getting BTS to fix it this summer, if it makes it till then. Will have to baby it. If it doesn't make it, I'll be looking for a transmission shop closer to home. Is there any other well know transmission shop in Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas Texas? Has anyone had or heard of someone having the same noise from the torque converter, and then it going out. I read that some have had it rattle for several thousand miles. The annoying rattle probably made most people change it out before it failed. Thanks agin for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts