Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I leave the truck idling can I tap it from the top of the drivers side manifold? I think I'm just gonna go buy the drill bit and tap myself a local shop wants to charge me 50 dollars just to drill tap and install the probe. I told them it won't take but ten minutes but they said that's what they charge, now its rainy as hell here and the mud is like 4 inches deep lol. I noticed that the driver side manifold is fairly easy to get to from the top once u remove the intake. Now if I leave the truck idling while I do it will it blow all the shavings out?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I tapped the bottom of the driver's manifold, not the top. And don't leave it running. No grease.

I tapped it with the 11/32 bit (no step ups) to keep the shavings large, then stuck one of those extendable screwdriver magnets through the hole a few times to get the large pieces. Then let it idle a few minutes after I installed the probe.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you need to do it from the top, good luck finding a spot. My suggestion would be to lay some cardboard down for 10 minutes and knock it out from underneath, it is a much more simple procedure

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Many guys let the truck idle while drilling, if you go that route you should be OK. I just drilled with a dab of grease when I did mine. Do it from the bottom.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
I do all of mine while the truck is idling. NO GREASE, while drilling or tapping.
And also do it from underneath, let gravity help. Plus there is a ton more room

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
is this a non turbo truck? won't make any difference! turboed just drill then let idle a bit there won't be that many to worry about just dont hammer on it right away.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
I would think because drill bits are designed to shed the metal shavings and grease would only hold onto them more.
Correct. It would catch the 1st little bit, then the rest would be pushed into the hole

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
How could it be pushed into the hole when you're working on drilling the hole? If there's no hole there to begin with, the shavings have nowhere to go but out of the drill flutes, grease or not.

I agree that there's no point or reason to grease the drill bit, but saying the shavings will be pushed into a hole that doesn't quite yet exist is impossible.

·
Registered
667 Posts
How could it be pushed into the hole when you're working on drilling the hole? If there's no hole there to begin with, the shavings have nowhere to go but out of the drill flutes, grease or not.

I agree that there's no point or reason to grease the drill bit, but saying the shavings will be pushed into a hole that doesn't quite yet exist is impossible.
true, but while the hole is not yet a complete hole it sill needs to be evacuated and if the grease is either holding it in one spot or blocking the shaving's escape then it could end up in the manifold when you drill threw the manifold.

i drilled mine from the bottom, engine off, no grease/lube, and had a vacuum right next to the drill bit and tap while drilling and tapping. everything went good. i had my turbo off to get it rebuilt recently and my hot wheel looked just fine as far as any damage from metal shavings.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
as some one that drills holes for a living....... there is a small amount of debris that will enter said hole at the conclusion of drilling operation IE: (the cap) said debris will not create an issue if one uses COMMON SENSE. more debris will come in said hole during the tapping process than will come from drilling said hole. In any event the amount of debris in manifold at conclusion of drilling and tapping of said hole WILL NOT be enough to cause any problems as long as you use said COMMON SENSE and don't go W.O.T. right after starting it up. The flow of exhaust gasses through manifold after start will clear out any debris left over and WILL NOT be moving fast enough to do damage. what happened to the beating the dead horse smilie?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
true, but while the hole is not yet a complete hole it sill needs to be evacuated and if the grease is either holding it in one spot or blocking the shaving's escape then it could end up in the manifold when you drill threw the manifold.
I will agree that there will be a small amount that goes through the manifold. A very small amount, grease or not.

My point was the majority of shavings will be forced away from the tip of the bit and out the flutes as you drill. They aren't just going to sit between the drill bit tip and the material that it's drilling and end up in the hole you're making. Just that very last bit of material as the bit breaks through may end up inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts