Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past week my truck will start on first try every morning when i go to school. But in the after noon when school is out it takes 5-10 cranks to start. What do you guys think the problem is. Replaced the batterys about 2 months ago alaternator the first week i got it. Think it is the starter?

Thanks

Grant

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you seeing any drops of oil where you park? I would be willing to bet its the STC fitting on the HPOP. It is probably leaking and needs replaced with the updated 1-piece fitting.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
If its only taking 5 seconds to crank, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Its going to cost probably a decent amount to dig down to the HPOP to replace the fitting, unless you do the work yourself.

At that point you'd probably be better off getting an aftermarket HPOP too so it never happens again. If it is the HPOP... IIRC, I think if the truck starts when cold, but not when hot, its got to do with the fitting due to the oil being thinner from the heat, so its harder to build pressure.

I've never seen/heard of a starter going bad in a 6.0L, but I'm sure it has happened. Have you tried cranking it longer than 5 seconds during those 5-10 cranks?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the stc fitting on the hpop was only for 04 and newer cuz i thought they used cast pump cover

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
I thought the stc fitting on the hpop was only for 04 and newer cuz i thought they used cast pump cover
2005 and newer.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
this a common problem or not? how hard would it to do the work myself
I'd say its pretty common, that's why there's an updated fitting for it. You basically have to take everything off the top of the motor and get all the way to the back of the block to get to it. I'd pressure test it and get a pressure gauge on it to confirm that's the problem before I dumped that kind of money/time on it though.

If you don't, your just shooting in the dark. Start a new thread and find a good diesel shop near you and have them check it out if no one else chimes in with better advice... At least that's what I would do.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
I would check the FICM voltage (and a fuel pressure gauge is ALWAYS a good idea).

Fresh 5W40 oil, a new OEM (Motorcraft, Racor, or International) filter, and the newest flash will do wonders for starting quickly (depending on the condition of the injectors, the HPO pressure, and the FICM).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts