Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven a tailgate on or off help or hurt the MPG its a 01 ccsb 4x4 7.3 auto just checking and im leaving georgia tomorrow to head back to tennessee any ideals for better mpg i got a stoack filter no tune on it at the moment and straight piped i got anywhere from 20-24 on the trip down here

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keep it up and on... The tailgate creates a pocket of air within the bed of the truck and does some science stuff and helps with some more science stuff. but in the end you will get better MPG with it up and on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
“When the tailgate is raised, a “separated bubble” of stagnant air is formed in the bed of the pickup. Wind tends to swoosh over this bubble as though it were part of the truck. Lower the tailgate, and the bubble disappears, which leads to increased wind resistance.”

did some research on the the science stuff

·
Registered
131 Posts
myth busters did a segment on this and found that you get better mpg with the tail gate up. The bubble that was talked about is the same reason why an empty can will circulate in the bed without blowing out.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Were you driving 55 downhill the entire time?
I'm leaning toward someone believing that little trip computer.

I did learn that if you keep your foot out of it, and stay at or below 2000rpm, your mileage will do pretty well. But with the 3.73 axle I suspect you have, you won't be driving 80mph+. At that rpm, you'll be around 67-68mph.;)

The best I've ever gotten out of my truck was 18.5 mpg. That was with a 60 hp setting on my superchips programmer, 4"exhaust, and 6637 air filtre. Since, I've gone to a straight pipe, and the 80hp setting, but haven't driven on the big road long enough to bother checking mileage. Science makes me think it might be a little better now, as well it seems the gas needle appears to move a bit slower.;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think where I live with short drives and crap fuel I average anywhere from 8-14 MPG; mostly dirt roads, so always have the front hubs locked and use the 4x4 regularly

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was actually running anyhere from 72 up tp 82 traffic as good so there was no stops i running threw downtown about 3 in the morning so i could put it on cruise and and save fuel

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
I get over 20 mpg when I get down south close to the capitol where all the good roads are(and they complain the most about bad roads...), but then the max speed I go is about 50-55 mph. Before that I get like 16-18ish if I manage to keep my foot out of it.

Mind I almost never tow anything, but when I do I can still manage to get somewhere around 14-16 ish mph. Considering I can only tow a max of about 7000 lbs, and haul somewhere around 3200 lbs. Probably gross out at 16-17000 lbs, but I don't think I've ever maxed it out legally yet.

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just got back from atlanta last night went 658 miles on like 26 gallons of diesel im happy ha but im running 235/85 tires straight pipe and thats it i was only running about 68-72 not to bad for a ccsb 4x4 auto

·
Livin in the flatlands.
525 Posts
Nice.
Like said, tailgate on and up is better, but adding a tonneau cover will help more.

·
Registered
886 Posts
well i just got back from atlanta last night went 658 miles on like 26 gallons of diesel im happy ha but im running 235/85 tires straight pipe and thats it i was only running about 68-72 not to bad for a ccsb 4x4 auto
25 mpg? That is about 7 more than my ECSB 4x4 stick shift.

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep 25mpg from sparta Tennessee to marietta Georgia 68-72 the whole way

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Sorry but I don't see how you are getting 26mpg doing 72mph with a stock CCSB & 3.73 gears. Best I saw with the 00 2wd single cab long bed on the same tires was 18mpg & that was going around 70 on the highway. Throttle back to 60-65 & it was up around 21-23mpg & that's with a smaller truck. Anything over 2k rpms makes the fuel gauge move fast. If you really do get 25 regulary I wouldn't touch anything on it & just drive it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I drove from Redding CA, to Salt lake city UT, to Missoula MT, then Back home! Averaged about 19.75 MPG with a few spikes in the 21-24 mpg range. Drove althe way to Salt Lake at 65! I said forget that! and drove 75 on out! 65 was BORING!

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i ant gonna touch it just drive like it is it honestly does get that if mpg

·
Registered
886 Posts
How are you coming up with that? Is that hand calculated? I honestly don`t believe there is any chance of your auto doing better than my 6 speed. I have hit 20 as an average maybe twice in 8 years.

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i guess you need to swap your straight to a auto buddy cause i pulled it off got 297k on the truck i guess i know my truck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts