Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a T4 38r? Could the guts be swapped into a different housing?
Buy Online | Irate Diesel Performance LLC

Basically what are the possibilities and options for a ball bearing turbo on the t4 mount?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Garrett offers lots of BB turbos... However if your looking at BB turbos so you can say you have one, your shopping wrong. A JB turbo is less then half the cost, holds up as good if not better and is rebuildable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not looking to buy to say uh age one but rather to turn off my truck sooner and spool up a little quicker. Plus would rather have t4 mount and not a journal

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Not looking to buy to say uh age one but rather to turn off my truck sooner and spool up a little quicker. Plus would rather have t4 mount and not a journal

A GT45 is about $2800 retail...

A S467 is about $1200 retail...

Both will spool the same or within a hundred RPM's...

Both are a T4 set up...

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Some people make things hard. The reason people go t4 is to get away from those high priced center sections. I'd live to have a gtx4294r but that's a 3000 dollar turbo. I only have 1800 in my entire turbo set up. Depending on how big injectors you're going the brute 66 with bellowed up pipes would be tough to beat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like the t4 is much cleaner with less connections or points to leak. THAT would be the main reason looking into it

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I dont think you understand what a "T4" is... Its a mount system, it doesnt care what turbo is mounted to it, my H2e is a JB turbo, using a T4i mount, but the S300 and S400 series turbos are also JB, as are about 95% of the turbos out there...

Unless you are made of money go with a T4 mount, but a JB turbo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you may be right bu that is what this website is for. To clear these things up. I'm going off of the irate set up. Buy Online | Irate Diesel Performance LLC. Very clean. Only connections seems to be to the manifolds and the turbo to the mount. The stock mount looks to have more failing points

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Every turbo have 4 points of connection. Air in and out, exhaust in and out. Do you have any build plans or do you just want t to say you've got a ball bearing t4 turbo

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
And you may be right bu that is what this website is for. To clear these things up. I'm going off of the irate set up. Buy Online | Irate Diesel Performance LLC. Very clean. Only connections seems to be to the manifolds and the turbo to the mount. The stock mount looks to have more failing points
Who is talking about the stock mount?

ugh...

In reality there are MORE "points" of connection with a T-4 type set up then a stock set up...

As Bruce said, exhaust in and out, fresh air in, compressed air out, turbo pedistal oil in and out, turbo oil in and out... Thats the factory set up...

T4 set up has the same, plus a hose connection both at the pedistal, and at the turbo, so 4 MORE "points" of connection...

But who cares about that... The point is your confusion about what a Ball Bearing turbo vs a Journal Bearing turbo is mind numbing...

GT4294R...

S467...

A WHOLE BUNCH OF T4 turbos...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who is talking about the stock mount?

ugh...

In reality there are MORE "points" of connection with a T-4 type set up then a stock set up...

As Bruce said, exhaust in and out, fresh air in, compressed air out, turbo pedistal oil in and out, turbo oil in and out... Thats the factory set up...

T4 set up has the same, plus a hose connection both at the pedistal, and at the turbo, so 4 MORE "points" of connection...

But who cares about that... The point is your confusion about what a Ball Bearing turbo vs a Journal Bearing turbo is mind numbing...

GT4294R...

S467...

A WHOLE BUNCH OF T4 turbos...

I'm not confused on the ball bearing/journal difference. That's not my decision making point. I should have specified exhaust connections. That's my main concern. Not so much a concern even. I just want clean one piece hassle free. The stock t4i would have and extra set of connections as opposed to irates t4 set up.

As far a ball bearing. There, to me anyway, doesn't seem to be a reason why you wouldn't want a ball bearing. Rebuilding I could see. But unless your racing or pulling professionally realistically how often is that ? Every 100k miles?200k?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I'm not confused on the ball bearing/journal difference. That's not my decision making point. I should have specified exhaust connections. That's my main concern. Not so much a concern even. I just want clean one piece hassle free. The stock t4i would have and extra set of connections as opposed to irates t4 set up.

As far a ball bearing. There, to me anyway, doesn't seem to be a reason why you wouldn't want a ball bearing. Rebuilding I could see. But unless your racing or pulling professionally realistically how often is that ? Every 100k miles?200k?
Cost... A BB turbo will be 2-3 TIMES more then the same size JB turbo. It will not offer any added benefit other then some slight reduction in spool...

As to the kits...

Irate's kit is very nice, but dont believe that its better then the Turbonetics mount that you pictured above...

Irate...

Turbonetics...

Those V-band connections are not a failure point, in fact they actually make parts replaceable, make install FAR easier and if anything are a benefit...

None the less, I am not even sure what your asking anymore so I will just bow out now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I'm talking about. Hit the nail on the head. Would stick with 38r at that point

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Picking a turbo based on how many points of connection the turbo has??? LOL Priceless.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To each thier own douche

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And it's not picking a turbo because I could still go journal. It's picking an up pipe option. Then a turbo for my application based off of that. The diesel innovations one piece up pipe also has reports of cracking in the flexible section. Irate t4 with s300 series still in the air

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
stock style up pipes leak. seems perfectly acceptable to me to want to reduce the leaks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.