Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
7,983 Posts
i stick with conventional oil in my older engines. synthetic leaks rite out of them.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Full synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
DaveP

This is the man that knows oils.

I don’t know anything specifics but I got wellnover a million miles on 4 of my 7.3 all using delo so i don’t know... I don’t think too much.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
3,676 Posts

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
This is just like the gun lube threads I see on my other forum. No consensus, no convincing and everybody has the magic formula.

As for me, I'm not sure it matters much. Never found any tangible benefits to either. Cost is definitely a drawback to synthetics though. Some engines require it because they run so hot. If they don't require it then I usually recommend just synthetic blends or conventional.

Your truck, run whatever blows your hair back.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What a joke.....

Exactly

This is just like the gun lube threads I see on my other forum. No consensus, no convincing and everybody has the magic formula.

As for me, I'm not sure it matters much. Never found any tangible benefits to either. Cost is definitely a drawback to synthetics though. Some engines require it because they run so hot. If they don't require it then I usually recommend just synthetic blends or conventional.

Your truck, run whatever blows your hair back.

We need this as a sticky. Blunt and I like it. Every often we get the same thread about what type of oil to run bla bla. I guess they didn’t search. All the threads saying the same chit. Kinda like the thread “how much can my truck really tow b/c all other threads are similar but don’t quite fit my situation” lol.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I can agree with Jamie on that.
But.... synthetic should be required in a heui engine. Guaranteed to have longer injector life. As well as better cold starting.

·
7,983 Posts
the funny thing about my 02 is it does not leak any oil with conventional 15-40 valvoline all fleet.
but put synthetic in it and it will leak a quart every 250 miles.

the 2004 5.4 is the same way, still on the full mark at 5000 mile oil change, but put synthetic in it and it needs a quart every 4-500 miles.

i would not even think of trying synthetic in any of the other trucks or cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regardless, i work on these 7.3s and 5.9s on a regular basis. 15w40 conventional is what is recommended from the factory, or 10w30 diesel. I also know the heui system doesnt like it as well as the conventional. Not going to say all diesels cant run on it just dont use it in a 7 3. We use valvoline 1540 and motocraft 1030 for the 6.7s and 6.4s you can use whatever you want im sure it wont hurt the internals. There is a reason the manufacturer specified these oils

·
Registered
190 Posts
the funny thing about my 02 is it does not leak any oil with conventional 15-40 valvoline all fleet.
but put synthetic in it and it will leak a quart every 250 miles.

the 2004 5.4 is the same way, still on the full mark at 5000 mile oil change, but put synthetic in it and it needs a quart every 4-500 miles.

i would not even think of trying synthetic in any of the other trucks or cars.

Mine is the same, tried running synthetic and I’d lose a quart every 500 miles or so. Switched to conventional and I can go 5,000 miles without needing to add oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,285 Posts
Regardless, i work on these 7.3s and 5.9s on a regular basis. 15w40 conventional is what is recommended from the factory, or 10w30 diesel. I also know the heui system doesnt like it as well as the conventional. Not going to say all diesels cant run on it just dont use it in a 7 3. We use valvoline 1540 and motocraft 1030 for the 6.7s and 6.4s you can use whatever you want im sure it wont hurt the internals. There is a reason the manufacturer specified these oils
Care to provide some objective evidence? I ran full synthetic on my 315,000 mile 7.3 for a couple years and never had an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah check the owners manual. As for hands on experience ive had a few customers come in with random misfires and recenlty changed to synthetic. I vacuum pumped out the hpop resivoir and filled with regular oil stil took 20 30 miles to get the skip out of engine idk why but between the sensors and injectors they dont like it all that well. From experience. And ive seen stock injectors go damn near 400000 with stanydyne and regular oil and personally seen one go 752000 miles on stock internals with regular oil.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Anything to prove mileage?
The only synthetic i have ever heard making a 7.3/6.0 run bad. Is rotella t6.
If yours are true stories, somebody didn't put in the right rating oil. (Anti-foam agents come to mind)

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,285 Posts
I mean...a 17 year old owners manual and a couple random trucks of unknown health don't do much in the way of proving synthetic is bad for a 7.3. But hey, I guess its more of the stuff for us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been running full synthetic for about 4 years now. No leaks more than normal in the valley stuff. Not much. Truck has run noticeably "smoother" with synthetic. Not a gigantic difference mind you, but if you drive it every day and know the minute differences, you can tell. I wait to change oil about every 5,000 to 5,5000 miles now too, so that kind of evens out the extra cost of sythetic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts