Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 01 250 a year and half ago. The guy used full synthetic Rotella. What's the census view on synthetic,partial synthetic, or straight oil? And is it a good idea to change back to straight oil after synthetic?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
change back wont hurt anything. I had always run synthetic in my truck sold my brother a motor that had always had synthetic he beat on it for 2 yrs before he sold the car.

I know he never ran nothing but dino oil in it.

my personal truck I run amsoil in the diff. But ford in the tranny and transfer case.

·
Banned
598 Posts
I love my synthetic oil so much smoother

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only had diesel tractors till I bought this truck and I've just stuck with the synthetic. My tractors do fine on Dino and they never have problems. Tomorrow after servicing I'm putting Archoil in oil and the fuel system cleaner in the fuel. I've been hearing some good stuff about it. I'll post after a week of driving.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Why is that zmann? Just curious.
completely just my opinion since the 7.3 injectors aren't finicky like the 6.0 and the stiction issue that synthetic can prevent
I would rather save a money and just run Dino and normal oil change intervals

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about using additives in the oil? The guy that owned my truck is a mechanic (which I know doesn't mean a lot) said with the synthetic he went 15000 miles between changes. I know he didn't pull anything just used it as a daily driver. With what I've read and my experience over the past25 years of driving I can agree with this, but I'be only had gas vehicles and farm tractors that are diesel. I've never had any engine trouble in anything I've owned. And all I've used has been reg 10w30 either Havoline or penzoil and 15/40 rotella in the tractors and never used an additive. There sure are a lot of opinions on this subject and since these diesels are so finicky I'm treating them a little different. I'm Going to disagree with you Zeeman I think synthetic will be better on the cold morning starts and better on these hot days.

·
Banned
598 Posts
As s10mike said he is in the sane state as me been cold this year was
Deadly last year never had a single starting issue with my truck plugged in or not
It runs smother its less clakly it just seems happy compared to dino.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
don't run your truck 15000 miles between oil changes. then only way I would even consider near that is with a by pass kit. like amsoil or something similar. even with sytheic oil.

ive always done oil ever 5 fuel filter every 10 to 12

·
Banned
598 Posts
Damn lol I don't let my oil go past 4000 miles lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going 15000 with my diesel. These things are not nearly as reliable as gas burners. PArts are expensive to. Ford recommend 7500 with synthetic I'll go up @9. That being said my 96 s10 probably only had 1/2 dozen oil changes in 250000 miles and runs like raped ape. No ticking no probs. changed plugs wires all that radiator starter and battery. Engine light ain't on either always passed emissions. Havoline 10w40.

·
Registered
905 Posts
s10's are supper tough. i got a 91 with 33's and a built 4.3 and trans. that things a blast. i do break alot of cv joints with it though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been lookin for an older body '84 to '93 long bed 4wd to rebuild. Hard to find. Probably have to get a 2wd and convert it. Get a ext cab and switch bodies I guess. I'd rather do that than buy a 30000$ new truck. 95 and older no emissions in NC

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's cool listening to everyone's ppinions on this subject. My next upgrades are going to be oil filter bypass kit,regulated return fuel system with bowl delete and coolant filter. I Am by no means a mechanic(journeyman wireman/certified welder IBEW 342) but I'm pretty much in agreement with most on here about the oil changes. I'm going to stick with @8,000 unless I see some oil loss. Now, does anyone know where to send oil samples to check viscosity? I've heard the ones with Amsoil sending off.

·
Banned
598 Posts
There's a lot of places that do them.
Someone will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did see some self test kits online. I wonder how accurate they are? And could you trust a company to do it for you? I guess it's something to look into.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts