Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for anyone who can answer it for me. I just recently built the motor in my truck, complete bottom and top end build. I changed the oil and filter at about 300 miles. Im right at 1000 miles now and I'm planning on the changing the oil again this coming weekend. My question is, is it too soon to switch to full synthetic oil? If not, should I go with Valvoline blue 5w-40 or should I go with mobile 1 5w-40? Thanks for your time! :ford:

·
Registered
247 Posts
You may wanna run another round with conventional then switch...IMHO but someone with more concrete knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Run the dino for awhile before switching to synthetic. diesels take long enough to break in and synthetic makes the process even longer due to it being to good for wear. I honestly would go 10k before switching but thats me. At least another cycle and hook that thing up to a trailer and do some towing to help set the rings.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
go to your local john deere and get there break in oil.... i work at deere and im not a fan of most deere lubricant but there break in oil is BA

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would say stick with no syn oil untill you ht 20,000 miles. Keep the oil changes under 3,000 miles for the first 3 changes, then 4,000 for the next 3.

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first oil change was at roughly 300 miles and I used rotella T. I'm right around 1000 miles now and plan to change it again this coming weekend. I'm not sure if I want to use rotella again. What other dino oils would you all recommend? I don't have access to a trailer nor do I have a trailer hitch on my truck. I've been varying the rpms a lot and I've beat on the truck pretty good a hand full of times already. I've always been told to break in a motor the way it will be driven so that's what's I have been doing.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
valvoline blue,Chevron delo, mobile delvac in that order is what I would run over rotella.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
I switched to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 at 500 miles....truck now has 77,000 miles. I saw no issue with break-in. The truck started easily in the cold, except for an issue with not changing my oil often enough (I was running the oil 7500 miles), which began to plague me at 60,000 miles. I experienced what I think are injector stiction issues at 50,000 miles. I reverted to a 5,000 mile change interval beginning at 75,000 miles and I just started running a combined Rotella 15W-40 in the spring/summer/fall and Valvoline 5W-40 in the Winter. So far so good. I'll know more next winter when the stiction issues would begin to appear in the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts