Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 7.3l . I changed my oil to rotella t4 semi synthetic mix. Mow I have to add a quart every 1500 miles and I have zero leaks. Before I switched the oil I never had to add any between oil changes. Also I have very little smoke only on hard acceleration. Is this common when going to a synthetic oil?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to say I was running rotella t4 then changed to rotella t5 synthetic blend and also a big bottle of hotshots Sticktion elimitator.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T4 was what I always ran before but this past time I changed to the T5 to see if it ran any better or fuel milage changed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I meant to say I was running rotella t4 then changed to rotella t5 synthetic blend and also a big bottle of hotshots Sticktion elimitator.

I have been running T5 in my truck for two years and it will use a Quart of oil in 4000 plus miles. I only other time it used a lot of oil is when my turbo seal was going bad and pushing oil out the exhaust side of the turbo. That time it was using 3 quarts every 3000 miles. I noticed a slight mileage improvement maybe one mile to a gallon. The one other improvement I have noticed is the oil temp dropped about 7 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_0929.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been running T5 in my truck for two years and it will use a Quart of oil in 4000 plus miles. I only other time it used a lot of oil is when my turbo seal was going bad and pushing oil out the exhaust side of the turbo. That time it was using 3 quarts every 3000 miles. I noticed a slight mileage improvement maybe one mile to a gallon. The one other improvement I have noticed is the oil temp dropped about 7 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 176747
Thank you for the info. I have a brand new turbo kc38r stage 2 that's only been on my truck 2 months. I'll pull my down pipe to see if I see any oil. I'm putting on new riff raff boots this weekend so I'll already be in it anyways.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found oil leaking through my intercooler boots and cac boots. I replaced them with a new set from Riff Raff diesel. Now I will see if I'm losing anymore oil. I was shocked how much oil was on top of my engine.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Dump the CCV (crankcase vent) to the ground, instead of into the intake, and your CAC leaks will disappear.

The "original" design of the IH/Navistar T444e was an atmospheric CC vent. Ford added the crankcase vent to intake to meet light duty/automotive emission standards.

You can reverse the dog-house on the rocker cover (face the outlet to the rear), and hose or pipe it to the ground. This is the way Navistar did it.

My truck's been running this way for years and years...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dump the CCV (crankcase vent) to the ground, instead of into the intake, and your CAC leaks will disappear.

The "original" design of the IH/Navistar T444e was an atmospheric CC vent. Ford added the crankcase vent to intake to meet light duty/automotive emission standards.

You can reverse the dog-house on the rocker cover (face the outlet to the rear), and hose or pipe it to the ground. This is the way Navistar did it.

My truck's been running this way for years and years...
How much oil do you loose between oil changes by blowing it out on the ground? Just curious as to how much oil blows through the ccv. Thanks.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
There is blowby...all engines have some "blowby". I use the IH road-draft tube arrangement, which dumps straight down to the ground, on the left side by the trans.

It's slightly worse at idle than when under-load (because of the type of rings used in these diesels), so there is a light haze rolling up around the truck when hot and idling. But I don't blow any oil out, nor does it drip anything. I don't loose/use any significant oil between changes (I go 5-6K mi. between changes). Worst case is a quart or two (in 6K mi.), if long road-tripping. I use Valvoline "Premium Blue" synthetic in mine.

I always had oil staining/weeping at the CAC boots, no matter how tight the clamps were, or what type of hose was used... they always leaked a bit. Once the atmospheric CCV went on, no more weeping.

The other advantage is: None of that CC vapor is going through the turbo compressor either.

SORRY...didn't mean to derail this thread on a CCV topic! :D

BACK ON TOPIC:

I've used synthetic oil in my truck almost since new. Never had any appreciable leakage issues.

As far as synthetic oil "causing" oil leaks: That is a common myth. The oil really doesn't "cause" leakage... chances are your old engine was trying to leak anyway. The synth just found the leaks faster.

Synthetic has a somewhat smaller molecule than traditional oil. Thus, it may weep/leak out of worn seals and gaskets easier, where the "larger-moleculed" conventional oil would leak/weep less. In addition, most synthetics have a higher detergent/additive content, which can (in an older engine) wash-out deposits, causing the engine to leak more. Again, chances are it was trying to leak anyway...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

New to this forum but been a big time car junkie for years.

Just wanted to note the reason people notice a leaks in synthetics over conventional oil is do to the molecules that make up synthetics are smaller and all the same size. In conventional oil, the molecules are different sizes and shapes allowing them to catch and seal up. The myth is kinda true and false at the same time.

I attached a little photo that explains it a little better. Also BTW while on the topic of oil, I use T6 5w40 full synthetic in my 7.3 and it loves it. Also I live in a cold climate.

synthetic_vs_oil_friction.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
on my 7.3 I was using rotella since new. I had switched first to T4 and didn't really notice much difference. went to T5 on the next change and the truck seemed to run a bit smoother. the next change went to T6 and truck is noticeably smoother, seems to fire up quicker, and seems to have a bit more pep. I do have the CCV vented to atmosphere like mentioned above. I had the intercooler boot pop off with a bunch of oil in the hose. Truck has just over 130k. I will be checking the intercooler hoses again at the next oil change.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
on my 7.3 I was using rotella since new. I had switched first to T4 and didn't really notice much difference. went to T5 on the next change and the truck seemed to run a bit smoother. the next change went to T6 and truck is noticeably smoother, seems to fire up quicker, and seems to have a bit more pep. I do have the CCV vented to atmosphere like mentioned above. I had the intercooler boot pop off with a bunch of oil in the hose. Truck has just over 130k. I will be checking the intercooler hoses again at the next oil change.
Which intercooler boot? How much oil?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put new boots on mine and cleaned up the piping and replaced all the clamps.also changed my oil back to T4. Took a road trip last week and so for I haven't lost a drop and oil level has remained consistent. I believe I was loosing a lot of oil through my old boots.they were all mushy and oil soaked.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
it was the boot from the turbo to the intercooler LH (drivers side). there was about a teaspoon of oil at the boot.
Yeah, it's not uncommon to have oil in the CAC lines. That's also why the boots weep oil, particularly the silicone boots. It's one of the problems of having the crankcase venting into the intake.

So if there's that much oil in the boot, just imagine how much is in the intercooler itself!

Diesel Site makes a decent replacement set, that are made out of EPDM rubber (I think it's EPDM) with aramid reinforcement, which is more oil resistant than silicone. You can get all six with clamps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts