Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am really thinking about switching to a cummins. I think I found one 24v with trans about 60k on it. Not sure of year yet. Wanting know what is involved to do the swap. Trying to decide if it's worth it or buy new truck. Plan on putting it in truck in sig.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you really like your truck and it is paid off it may be worth it, but for me it would have cost the same to buy a used 2008 mega cab with 40,000 miles on it, I am looking at about $14,000 dollars to swap in a cummins engine. and thats with me doing the install.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am trying figure out what all is needed to do the swap.

·
Registered
918 Posts
engine, computer and harness if running a VP44, may be easier to P pump the engine.. Adapter plate, flex plate, mounts, rad hoses, IC piping, stand alone tranny computer, air intake, downpipe to connect to your exhaust, power steering lines, What are you wanting to do with AC? Alternator? adaptors to run your sending units to the cummins block, tach adapter kit, probably custom driveshafts... something like that??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Agree... I also built my engine.. If you get a ready to drop in engine and plan to leave it mostly stock then it would not take as long

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanting to keep this my DD and work truck. Wit the occasional play time. Would it be better to use the dodge tranny or my BTS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a low milage 2008 6.7 cummins that I plan on putting in my 2004 F-250. My plans as of now are:

1. Balance engine $200.00
2. Change cam and lifters $ ???
3. Convert to 2003 electronics. Harness,ECM, Injectors, and Turbo. $2000.00
4. BTS 4r100 $4300.00

I plan on using a world products powersteering pump bracket, to aleviate plumbing problems.

Is it worth using a painless wiring harness?

any recomendaion or suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The motor is a 99'. The guy price me the whole truck today. Is this a good year.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Could be....check to see if it has a the number "53" stamped into the block. Look on the drivers side of the engine, under the injection pump, just above the oil pan lip. There was another bad casting number(55?) but I can't remember it right now. Check the pass side of the engine for a coolant leak, it will be on the pass side towards the rear of the motor, under the exhaust manifold, look for coolant staining on the side of the block there. Check those before you buy....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts