Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 07 F350 leather steering wheel to put on my 2000 F350, it should bolt right up correctly and, everything looks the same except the new one has a couple extra buttons on it that won't be functional? Thanks for any help;)

I've done multiple searches and can't find much about steering wheel swaps on here, thanks

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I just picked up an 07 F350 leather steering wheel to put on my 2000 F350, it should bolt right up correctly and, everything looks the same except the new one has a couple extra buttons on it that won't be functional? Thanks for any help;)

I've done multiple searches and can't find much about steering wheel swaps on here, thanks
I am interested in seeing if this works. I have a 2000, that I'd like to get either a new F-150 or an 08+ Super Duty steering wheel for...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am interested in seeing if this works. I have a 2000, that I'd like to get either a new F-150 or an 08+ Super Duty steering wheel for...
From what i understand the only real problem, especially in the ones you are looking at is you have to have the correct airbag to fit correctly in the steering wheel as none of the steering wheels come with the airbags.

I found an 08 i wanted to put in my 2000 SD but i don't think my airbag will fit in that steering wheel, nor did i have the airbag cover for it.

I just bought an 07 king ranch steering wheel for my truck, hopefully it will bolt right in and i can switch out the airbag and airbag cover.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Do all the wires go through the clock spring .
When I looked into an o5 swap it was gettin complicated fast.
Almost looked quicker to change the whole column and all.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped an 05 HD in my 99 so that I could use the radio controls on the steering wheel. You do need the 05 clock spring though.
Who do you get that radio controls to actually work, where can you get the clock spring at?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ya, if you have 05 up steering wheel you will need to make sure your wires match up to work all components. You will have to hardwire the radio and climate controls to get them to work. '08+ you will need the airbag module as well. F150, Navigator, etc will work as long as you have the wheel, airbag, etc to bolt on. Some electronics may be different though. Be prepared to modify wires and accesories to make it work. Clockprings can be ordered at Ford or aftermarket part stores. Get the one for the year and model of the steering wheel your using, not your truck year.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good guys, any idea on what those clock springs run, how much did ford charge you for the Harley 05 wheel if you don't mind me asking?

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
looking at how many people in SD have had accidents and the airbag never went off, why are you worried about having one in there if it wont go off?

LOL

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
looking at how many people in SD have had accidents and the airbag never went off, why are you worried about having one in there if it wont go off?

LOL
that is what i said in another thread, kinda scary when you think about it. bet if you bumped a wrong wire it would pop though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It should go off if the wires are the same on the airbag. Once thats plugged in the other wires don't matter, i.e. climate adjust, radio, etc. if the airbag light goes off on the dash and no codes, your good to go.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The cruise control resistor values are different for 05+ trucks, how are you guy addressing that?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:whs:
Ah, I was wondering about this. I would just like to have the airbag in there b/c at least there is a chance it might go off and help you out if something ever does happen. Anyone have a link to parts carriers for the clock springs. I'm thinking i might just take it into ford once i get everything gathered up and let them put the darn thing on for me so i don't have an airbag go off on me:eek:

I'm still waiting on my new steering wheel should be here in the next couple days!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those should work. However, I didn't see if the add said they include steering wheel radio and climate control wires. My swap was easy, because I have the stock wheel with cruise only, no radio, a/c buttons etc. I think all the 05+ xlt and up trims have the buttons on the wheel and may need another wire plug or two on there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It should go off if the wires are the same on the airbag. Once thats plugged in the other wires don't matter, i.e. climate adjust, radio, etc. if the airbag light goes off on the dash and no codes, your good to go.
That was supposed to say "It shouldn't go off....."

Meaning upon install, it shouldn't go off if the wires match up, etc. I always install the bag/module with the batts disconnected and key off. When done, I hook the batts up and wait a few minutes, then turn the key on from the PASSENGER side, just in case it goes off on key power. Just my method, FWIW.

Why the bags aren't deploying in accidents is another issue. One I am not familiar with or have any info about. If you elected to not install the bag, you would just have to deal with bag light continuously flashing on the dash cluster. You could pull the bulb easy enough though. I would use the airbag if possible.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was supposed to say "It shouldn't go off....."

Meaning upon install, it shouldn't go off if the wires match up, etc. I always install the bag/module with the batts disconnected and key off. When done, I hook the batts up and wait a few minutes, then turn the key on from the PASSENGER side, just in case it goes off on key power. Just my method, FWIW.

Why the bags aren't deploying in accidents is another issue. One I am not familiar with or have any info about. If you elected to not install the bag, you would just have to deal with bag light continuously flashing on the dash cluster. You could pull the bulb easy enough though. I would use the airbag if possible.
Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts