Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to rotella t6 for the winter into 7.3 and was wondering would it hurt anything to go back to the regular rotella 15w40 in the summer?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Once you go synthetic you really shouldn't go back. It's more expensive but for your truck you should still stick with full syn anyways. I run t6 year round.

Bit by the mod bug.....never to return. 7.3

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you change back what will it do or cause if I switch back?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know that when I did that I got a really bad lope on start up. I don't know exactly what it does but I know once you use synthetic your really not suppose to go back

Bit by the mod bug.....never to return. 7.3

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I've had it once where I ran a load of 15-40 regular thru my truck then back to 5-40 synthetic and had some weeping or mi-nute leaks on my underside driverside valve cover but other than that, leak stoped later on by itself, just a slighty differently sounding motor. Quieter with the syn.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
There's no difference but you will notice it will run different. I've been trying to get a guy I go to school with to switch to t6 for a while in the winter and he won't for some reason. Only thing going back to 15-40 is going to do is save you money because it's cheaper that 5-40syn.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Not really save much money as with the 15-40 when I was running it years ago I lost 120-125 mpg per tank of fuel so added up threw 6-7000 miles thats alot more in fuel then running the t6 ive been running for 3 years now year round. What I save in Every 10 tankfuls of fuel pays for my entire oil change then its profit after that till I change it again. Plus my engine sounds quieter.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Synthetic oil will swell the gaskets and seals a tiny bit. When you go back to regular oil this will go away. Seals will shrink, and oil will seep.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You are a NO-GO at this station.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
It will NOT cause any adverse affects to go back to Dino oil.

But the engine is far better off with the synthetic 5W/40 from the injectors to the lower ash and even the rubber o-rings. Synthetic oil is better on all of the rubbers for damn sure and that alone would be enough for me to use it. Not to mention its superior in every aspect from lubrication qualities to acidic levels.

Bottom line: Keep Using It

1 - 11 of 11 Posts