Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am currently in the Market for a new hauler. I am towing a 28' Nordic Heat on a triple axle trailer (7500lbs, fully loaded, 4 wheel disc surge brakes for now, going to convert to electric over hydraulic). A lot of the trucks I am looking at are the 6.0L PS trucks (mainly 06-07). Now, I have read a little bit here and there regarding that question (reliability, bulletproofing and such). My question is this. I am loooking at two VERY similar trucks. One being a 2006 Lariat Crew cab SWB, the other being a 2006 Lariat LWB. Pretty darn identical, mileage is a little lower on the LWB, but the price is lower on the SWB. For towing purposes which is preferable? Is there more stability with one that the other? I will be traveling with this rig. Shortest distance to the lake is 35miles one way. Longest is a trip to Lake Havasu or LOTO more than likely. What are the recommended upgrades for towing normally? Any sort of hints, info, advice or comments are greatly appreciated gents and ladies! Thanks a lot!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The longer the wheel base the better the ride, the shorter the wheel base the better turning radius

Air bags will be your friend if loading heavy and with a tripple axle, i would guess you are going heavy

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up! I will have to do some research on the turning radius difference for sure. I do prefer a smoother ride though, especially on those long trips.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My CCLB has a turning radius of a bus.........I love it. I also love that it takes up a parking spot and a half. :ford:

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ever do any towing with it? My trailer is a trip axle that measures out to about 32 feet in length all said and done. Would the extra wheel base and decreased turning radius be more of a hassle?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would guess that with it being longer that yes it would. The only thing I tow at the moment is a camper and its not as long as the truck is, so just backing is a pain.

Brad could answer this one better he seems to have different trailers and different trucks but Im pretty sure a SWB would bounce you around more. Like he said, LWB is a better ride.
SWB is more nimble.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
What are you going to be towing ON the trailer? And what does the trailer weigh. Triple axle bumper pull is a SERIOUS trailer

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have both a swb and lwb. Lwb rides much smoother when towing.
Turning radius no biggie to me, especially if its the only truck you are driving. Only time I notice a difference is if I go from one to the other right away.

You shouldnt need air bags towing a 7500lb triple axle, most of your weight will be on the trailer I would think.

I tow a 9,000lb tandem axle all the time and a 35' gooseneck dual tandem axle that grosses about 18,500lbs without airbags. Although I will say, I could use them with them gooseneck!

Longer wheelbase trucks tend to not get as bounced around while towing. My SWB tends get that hops going on some roads, where my LWB is smooth.

Hope that makes sense.......

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I tow a 32ft triple axle toyhauler bumper pull and weights in at 15k and I have a LWB. I love it ride wise I don't think it's more smooth then a SWB. These are trucks not caddys lol.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'd go for the LWB for the better ride, I feel like the LWB trucks control your load a little better to.

If your new to powerstrokes, personally I'd be looking at a 7.3 over a 6.0. Especially if you don't do your own wrenching!

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies gents. On the trailer is a 28' Nordic Heat (Performance boat) that weighs in at 4900 dry. Total with all gear, 7500-8000lbs is the HIGH estimate. Tongue weight is not all that much as the boat is rather balanced on the trailer. Dont know the exact weight yet, that will come before I do some serious traveling and such.

I am not super new to PS's. We had a 99 F250 7.3L in the family that I did some wrenching on. I do all my own wrenching, thank goodness. I came up a a Diesel Mech in the Army (back when 3rd shop actually pulled engines apart :) ). Honestly, the load is not that heavy, I am not super worried about performance, but I am worried about a comfortable ride with all the amenities. The late 90s to 2003 or so F250s just dont appeal that much to me. I know the differences are subtle from 04 and up, but I am seriously diggin the 06s and 07s for some reason. I have my eye on a 6.0L 2006 4WD LWB Crew Cab Lariat selling for a good price. I have a gentleman from one of the boating forums I frequent (happens to be a Ford Master Tech) looking up the OASIS and other reports on the VINs for me, so home work is being done at least :) Thanks again for all the comments gents, I am looking forward to getting into a new truck and enjoying the ride. My Titan is a little too small for the boat, and well, with the full exhaust, the drone is driving me nuts when I am towing.

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for clarification sake :)

Ride quality on any of the Fords will be 10 times better than the Titan considering the 2/5 drop. The drone is terrible (long tube headers, gutted cats, side exit exhaust in front of rear tire), it has a 2.94 Final Drive, and no cruise control. :) Great street rod for a gas truck (consistent mid 14's in full street trim, meaning 20s, sub woofers, spare tire, tailgate and tonneau.) But, I am more interested in the boat going fast, so I want something more comfy and more... efficient. :) Thanks for looking guys.

Oh, and the boat is rocking a Mercury Racing 500EFI, love it!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
O ok. you will be fine with either truck. I thought you were towing something heavy. That is a toy

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can even get away with the new F-150

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
255 Posts
Loving the titan!!!

I had an 04 crew cab titan for a while, it was a great truck! Right now my wife has an Infiniti QX56, I love the nissan 5.6 motor! Plenty of power to pull that boat, just need a bit more truck probably huh. Only bad thing about the 5.6 to me is the fuel economy Average 12.9 in the QX56 and I never averaged over 10 with my titan....but I towed with it alot!

And yeah the 5.6 has some serious drone with any change in the exhaust!

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O ok. you will be fine with either truck. I thought you were towing something heavy. That is a toy
She may be a toy, but a big toy for sure.

Due to my wife being cheap and me wanting to spend more on the boat than on the truck, I will be going used over new. I was quoted 40k on the new Ecoboost F150 from the AAFES guys out here in Kuwait. Being a mechanic, I am ok with used since I do all my own work anyhow. Even the Titan has never seen the inside of a dealership outside when I first bought it.

Thanks for the compliments on the Titan. I do like her, but she is too little truck for long term towing. I towed a 22' boat back from Maine to Texas, and that was a terrible drive in that truck. The 28' is a lot more boat on a much heavier trailer. Oh well. There is a 2010 for a great price at the same place, but I dont know how my wife will work that. She is doing all the leg work on it, so it is up to her in the end lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jay,

I agree with the guys, either the CCSB or CCLB will be fine for the boat. I understand wanting to get out of the gas truck though, I had Ford Lightning that I towed a Chapparal 196 SSI from Cali to TX and I could tell it was there the whole trip and got 12mpg. If I tow that boat with my 6.4 I can't tell it there and still get 14-15 mpg depending on my speed.

Best of luck and come him safe!

Joe

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I am saying toy as in weight and wind drag. Try towing something that weights 12-18k and is shaped like a brick

·
Can we go home yet?
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotcha ;) I have a bit of experience with towing with the bigger trucks (900 series 5 tons and such in the army). I would rather have a truck working at 50% capacity than one at 85%. (1/2 vs 3/4 ton debate). And I am tired of being bounced around, so i think a LWB will work for me :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I gotcha ;) I have a bit of experience with towing with the bigger trucks (900 series 5 tons and such in the army). I would rather have a truck working at 50% capacity than one at 85%. (1/2 vs 3/4 ton debate). And I am tired of being bounced around, so i think a LWB will work for me :)

Thats exactly why I stepped up to the 3/4 and 1 ton truck. My Titan had the "Big Tow" package so it was rated to tow 9500lbs. My work trailer is usually atleast 8,000lbs. After a couple years it took its toll on the 1/2 Ton. Now I can tow anything I want pretty much with ease. Plus save me some delivery money when I have to rent equipment I wouldn't have been able to tow with the 1/2 Ton before.

And as for the 7.3 vs 6.0 debate. I have both, and yes the 7.3 is hands down one of the best diesel engines you can buy. But I too was smitten with the 05-07 front end appearance, front coil over suspension, and the somewhat more stylish gauge cluster over my 02 truck.

And I LOOOOOVVVE my 6.0L!! It has had some issue, nothing I didn't expect though. I bought the truck knowing what the "problems" could be, and knew that when the time came I would just ahve to fix it right at that time.

It really is hard to beat the sound/performance and capability of a 6.0L when they are "fixed" and running good!

Good luck and hope you find exactly what your looking for!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts