Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a truck that needs a motor. It is a 95 PSD. I have a 99 motor complete - injectors. If I throw the 99 motor in with that hpop and front cover will I be fine? wiring will hook up to the new pump with no problem right? And I will just use the 95 sticks in this motor. Then I will get the updated front cover with filter and the check valve so oil is not draining back in the pan. Thanks

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
What about fuel? '99 motor won't have a hole in the valley for the mechanical fuel pump, right? You'd have to fab in the e-fuel from the donor, or roll your own.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What about fuel? '99 motor won't have a hole in the valley for the mechanical fuel pump, right? You'd have to fab in the e-fuel from the donor, or roll your own.

I believe from the factory they put a freeze plug in the valley on the super duties.

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to look at the block tomorrow.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Does the SD cam even have a lobe to operate the mechanical fuel pump? :shrug: I know theres a freeze plug stuck into the SD block pump hole.

If you switch front covers, you also have to use the later oil pickup tube and gasket. But you'll find that out as soon as you try to hook up the later front cover. Otherwise, you should be good to go using the 99 HPOP with the 99 cover.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Does the SD cam even have a lobe to operate the mechanical fuel pump? :shrug: I know theres a freeze plug stuck into the SD block pump hole.

If you switch front covers, you also have to use the later oil pickup tube and gasket. But you'll find that out as soon as you try to hook up the later front cover. Otherwise, you should be good to go using the 99 HPOP with the 99 cover.
According to Matt Robinson, all cams are the same from an obs 7.3, to a sd 7.3, to a t444e, so yes, the sd cams do have the lobe

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
My bad; I was confusing that ^^^^^ with the opening. I knew there was something about the SDs that would not work with an OBS mechanical pump.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I would use the SD motor and go E-Fuel. Why would you want to put the fuel bowl and mechanical pump on?

Why don't you confirm if the fuel pump lobe is there by popping out the freeze plug?

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
So you're telling me that Matt Robinson, owner of gearead automotive performance, cam builder, tuner, etc, is wrong? I mean sure he is human and can make a mistake, but I'm more inclined to believe someone who has dealt with cams in excess, than a book.
So they faked the pic in the book, showing the camshaft without the fuel pump lobe? :shrug:

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the freeze plug. I think I may just throw a little higher mileage 95 motor in that I have. Then I wont have to deal with E fuel and such.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
So they faked the pic in the book, showing the camshaft without the fuel pump lobe? :shrug:
That's not what I'm saying. I just find it hard to believe international would have removed the lobe for the sd trucks with 7.3's, and kept the cam lobe for the t444e's...

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may pop the freeze plug on the 99 motor just for kicks tomorrow.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There is no lobe on a SD cam. Atleast the e99 I built for my 97 didn't have one. Plus the block doesn't have the treads machined out where the pump is suppose to bolt too. It is just a flat casting. Again, atleast that's the way my e99 block was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts