Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first time doing it like this.

i pulled glow plugs and installed injectors and hooked up the injectors and unplugged cps. i crancked it over and it sounded as i was only spinning the starter.

is that how its supposed to sound since its loosing compression outa the glow plug holes?

Thanks

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Yeah I would think so.

On a side note, what you doing with your old injectors?

·
Strokin' in Green Bay
68 Posts
yeaup, sounds really funny when you are doing that. Glance out your window while you are doing this and you can see the fan turning, which is telling you the motor is indeed turning over.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Unless they are reasonably new I would replace the glow plugs since they are out and relatively cheap.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they were installed two febuarys ago when my last engine was built, should they be replaced? no idea what the life of them are.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
They should be fine but if you have a multimeter it would be a good idea to check them. You can also hit them with 12 volt juice and you will know real quick if they are all working. Make sure you are not holding it by the tip.:eek::doh::D Those little suckers get really hot with in a few seconds. I would say 1 second and it would melt into your skin. Don;t ask.:mad:

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
They should be fine but if you have a multimeter it would be a good idea to check them. You can also hit them with 12 volt juice and you will know real quick if they are all working. Make sure you are not holding it by the tip.:eek::doh::D Those little suckers get really hot with in a few seconds. I would say 1 second and it would melt into your skin. Don;t ask.:mad:
You still have the scare?:doh:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
this is my first time doing it like this.

i pulled glow plugs and installed injectors and hooked up the injectors and unplugged cps. i crancked it over and it sounded as i was only spinning the starter.

is that how its supposed to sound since its loosing compression outa the glow plug holes?

Thanks
Every time I pull my injectors I pull the GP's, and yes, when you crank it over it sounds like it's only the starter going.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jake and Tarm

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Are these the 300/200 in your sig you installed or something else. How is that S486 treating you now?

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its an 80/88 - and ill let you know how it is with more fuel : )

No. i pulled the 300/200, my swamps 400/400 just came in!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
When I cranked my truck without the GPs it sounded devilish, frightening at first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
global positioning system?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
global positioning system?
Glow plugs. Yes, it is a little disturbing, I did it one half at a time. Passenger side, purge, driver side, purge. Sounds really ugly with half the glow plugs missing.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mine didnt sound ugly, just sounded as if the flex plate was broke....again.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When upgrading injectors should the injector cups and glow plugs be replaced ?
Changing the injector cups isn't really a job you want to do if you don't have to. You need a special tool to remove the old cup, and another tool to drive the new cup into the head. I would only change them if I was having issues like "fuel in my degas bottle".

GP's are easy to do. I have had mine out probably 8 times in the past 2 years when changing injectors and stuff around. A 10mm deep, 1/4" dirve socket takes them right out. They're fairly cheap to buy, buy when you have to buy 8 of them, the "cheap" turns into a quick $50-60 at the parts store. If you are having hard starting issues in the winter, I'd replace the GP's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts