Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After swapping out my turbo and two injectors this past weekend. I have run into some problems. The codes that show up are P0603, P1247, and P1211. I know the P0603 is just from having a chip and pretty much nothing, same as the P1211. Now the P1247 is for turbo boost pressure low. I had that one before i changed the turbos out. What exactly does it mean and then what do i do if anything?

i also now have high egts, but im not sure if my pyro is messed up since it would jiggle everynow and again, kinda crazy like. I kinked my boost line aswell, so im not sure what the boost is, it only goes to 10. I need to change the boost line before ill be able to tell for sure.

Im also getting more black smoke. I didnt think that would happen since there should be more air with the bigger turbo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Drew

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
what he said.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
And what kind of boost pressures are you seeing on your gauge?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
he said he only sees 10 but the line is kinked to the gauge, i would probably start with looking for up pipe leaks.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Yup uppipes, boost leaks, kinked boost tube, hell even that big O ring on the front of the turbo is good for 2 psi or so.

You could get more smoke if you went with a bigger turbo down low since it won't spool quit as fast.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
kinda what i thought also, maybe your turbo is too big for the sticks youre running? what injectors do you have?

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
EBV stuck closed? I know that happened to me and my EGTs were through the roof and my boost was only pushing 10 maybe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went from a stock turbo to a tn bb. Its used and one of the good ones. i have stock sticks. i got the kink in my boost line fixed and it still doesnt make more than 10 psi and egts still high. I replaced the turbo and pedistal orings. gutted the ebpv. After gutting the ebpv, could i cut the wings off the butterfly valve??

This was my first turbo install/removal. I had a lot of trouble with getting the y collector connected to the turbo. I got it finally and the rear bolt to mount the turbo to the pedistal was lined up, but the front one was off about an eighth of an inch. So i took a pry bar and tweaked it over and got it in. Could that have caused the uppipes to leak?? or something like that?

Any help will be nice for when i tear it back apart this coming weekend

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBV stuck closed? I know that happened to me and my EGTs were through the roof and my boost was only pushing 10 maybe.
LOL i gutted the ebpv this weekend. I wonder if i wired the butterfly valve the wrong way. I dont think i did, but how could i tell? I hope that is the problem cause it is an easy fix and would make me feel like an idiot.:doh:

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
If I were you I would finger tighten the two turbo mount bolts before I even started attaching the collector. And I would attach the collector to the turbine housing with the v-band before I tightened the 4 bolts that hold the up-pipes tight to the collector. Otherwise it will never align, period.

Not to mention flopping the turbo all around on the pedestal without the bolts to hold it in place makes it damn easy for one of the O-rings to get out of alignment.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
LOL i gutted the ebpv this weekend. I wonder if i wired the butterfly valve the wrong way. I dont think i did, but how could i tell? I hope that is the problem cause it is an easy fix and would make me feel like an idiot.:doh:
Removing the butterfly and shaft is the reason to gut the pedistal. If you leave the butterfly and shaft intact you might as well leave it functional.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I am also curious how you could gut the exhaust backpressure valve and then wonder if you wired up a nonexistent butterfly the right way...

Is the butterfly not laying in your shop trashcan at present? If it's still on the truck, where along the gutting process did you go astray?

lol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Removing the butterfly and shaft is the reason to gut the pedistal. If you leave the butterfly and shaft intact you might as well leave it functional.
I followed the video that maintain did and it said to wire it open. I Was thinking the same thing, why gut it out if your not going to remove the butterfly. I didnt really have the tools on hand to remove the butterfly. when i remove it this weekend, did yall just cut the shaft out and remove the butterfly or what?

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I think the point is that you can't gut the valve and still have the valve. You obviously didn't gut it if it's still there.

Right?

Then the next question is why not? And the suggestion is, when it's off this time, either switch to the "high flow outlet" or gut that one before you put the charger back on.

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
the p1247 turbo boost pressure low could be a bad boost sensor.seen those go bad and cause alot of soot and high egt's. if you say you had it with the old turbo might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the point is that you can't gut the valve and still have the valve. You obviously didn't gut it if it's still there.

Right?

Then the next question is why not? And the suggestion is, when it's off this time, either switch to the "high flow outlet" or gut that one before you put the charger back on.
Then how would you recommend removing the butterfly and the rest of its components??

the p1247 turbo boost pressure low could be a bad boost sensor.seen those go bad and cause alot of soot and high egt's. if you say you had it with the old turbo might be worth looking at.
Where is this sensor located? How do i test to see if it is truly bad?

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
the boost sensor is on the evaporator case. were your over boost inihilator hooks up at. you would need a scanner to see if it's bad. you would need to look at the voltage reading at x amount of boost or just replace it with known good one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts