Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was washing my truck this weekend and noticed the outer dust seals on the front axle looked loose,, like they should be back in the axle. is this something i should worry about? or do they need to be replaced? is this one of them take it to a shop and have it done things? i don't drive it except on the weekends..

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
If you have an older (job 1 or 2) 6.4 then you have the hula hoop special seals. Just like everything else on this truck, Ford updated them from the plastic to a metal style with a rubber grommet that squeezes really tight against the axle. Not covered under any warranty, of course. Sunrise Ford (a sponsor here) has them for like $22.

Even when they aren't broken, they dont ride 'in' the axle but flush with the end of the tube... Prior to where it steps up into the steering knuckle, if that makes sense... Theres a tiny lip there that they float in

To replace them you have to pull the axle, so everything comes out - brakes rotor hub bearing then axle.... When the axle is out you slide the new seal down the shaft and reverse the disassembly procedure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine says 02/08. Previous search said large air valance = job 3

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
IIRC, Ford didn't correct or 'update' this seal until *after* the 6.4 was out of production, sometime around mid-'11 so if you have a 6.4 and the dust seals were never changed then they are the junk hula-hoop style and should eventually be replaced

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine are loose,, have been doing some research on it..i've checked a few other forums and seems the consenseus is to wait till the ball joints go out then do it,, it does'nt see any heavy offroading...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm...need to check mine too. Thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts