Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 with 155,000 is having a major surging issue. At low speed taking off it gets loud and surges feeling like it has no power as the rpms get high it clears out and begins to take off normal. Also when going down the road at high speed in overdrive it begins to surge when the rpms are low. If the rpms are high it seems fine but when low noise is very loud and power seems gone. (nothing but loud surging sound). What could be my problem?? Also although it has new glow plugs and a brand new starter it still seems to be hard at starting not sure if this has anything to do with the surging but just thought I'd mention it. Thanks guys

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had one do that and after chasing it for a year, I swapped out the IPR and surging gone. When I changed o ring kit on old ipr and cleaned it, that did not help

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks I will try that, the only problem is I am very new to this. Could you tell me where the IPR is located, what it looks like, and approximatly the price of a new one?

·
Rookie Stroker
325 Posts
Alright thanks I will try that, the only problem is I am very new to this. Could you tell me where the IPR is located, what it looks like, and approximatly the price of a new one?
The IPR is on the back (valley) side of the HPOP. If you are standing at the radiator looking at the firewall its on the lower driver side of the HOPO. The High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) is directly between the front of the truck & your Fuel Filter Housing. You will have to pull the fuel filter housing to make it a helluva lot easier to get to your IPR. It has a 2 wire pigtail on the IPR if I ain't mistaken. A new IPR is about $150 at the dealer if I aunt mistaken. Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a lot. So you agree that if i replace the IPR this will fix my major surging issue right ?? I had someone else tell me it could be the ICP and to unplug it and see if that fixes the problem. I did that and had no improvement it ran exactly the same. So you think the IPR is it ?? Is there any other way to know without just replacing it ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts