Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys the next 2-6 months for me is going to very boring. As some of you may know I had shoulder surgery last week, due to dislocating it 16 times over the past year or so. I torn my librum (think that's how its spelled). On two different layers, 60% across the top was torn off, then either an inner or lower level of it had torn to the piont of needing part of it removed, and pieces stitched back together. The head of.my humerous had to be "shaved" down, due to a chunck of bone missing. Then to top it off the cartlage that holds every thing together was torn off the born, also had to put 2 screws in it there. Plus some other minor things. Well today I went in for my first check up, got some stitches removed and so on. Next the doctor had me pull my arm out of the sling to see if I could have any movement. I was told to try and touch my forehead, couldn't even get half way to it. So the next 6 weeks I have to try and touch my forehead 1-2 times a day. And thas's all I'm allowed to do. After the next 6 weeks of that I may beable to get out of this sling, but at that piont I just begin the long road of rehab. Said it could be 6 month to a year before I ge full use out of my arm again. So right nowI can't go to my 40 hour a week job, nor work out of my small performance shop, so the 40 hour a week job doesn't concern me that much they understand what's going on, plus I havent been able to work there since july due to my shoulder ( no light duty, full go or no go ), but my shop is already getting slowed up due to only having 1 other part time tech, and I don't trust enough people to try and bring in extra help when I can't be there to oversee how things are going. As many of you know its hard to get a. Small business started, not to mention beable to earn a good rep, and good growing customer base. Well sorry for my long rant, guess I'm just nervous how things are going to pan out for me over the next year or so.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have done several shoulder surgeries. Hang in there, it certainly can be a long road. In your case it sounds like you really needed it though. Keep up with the treatment plan and exercises. They are designed to get you back to as functional as can be in the safest amount of time. Do not try to over-do it. (Librum = Labrum* just FYI).

As far as work - hopefully things will work out for you.

BTW - I always drool over the truck in your avatar. Nice rig

Good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I do appreciate it, just going from always being on the go, to not being allowed out of a recliner for the most part just plans sucks lol. Since you have done several of these any other tips you may beable to give me. I know its not something you can rush, and if you do rush it plan on going through it again.

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Been there, severe slap tear (completely tore the labrum loose) and upper biceps torn off. 7 scars, 3 screws, 2' of what ever they tie it togather with, 7 months of pt, 8 months of restricted duty. Mine was painful to move much for the first 2 months, ditched the sling 2 days after surgery, then it got better every day. Do as much physical therapy as they will let you, does super job getting you back in shape. I was able to do a lot of normal day to day stuff around the house etc after about 4 months.At 8 months I was back at full duty at work, but at almost 24 months post op, you can still get a little pain from overuse and it will never be as good as it once was, but 100% better than pre op. You will have to change some of the ways you did things with that shoulder, but it should work ok. DO NOT rush it, or chance it, you will regret it if you do. Hope you have a quick recovery..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, my doctor stressed to me about making sure I keep this sling on. Only time to take it off is when I'm trying to touch my forehead for that 1 or 2 minutes a day and for showers. i also know that it seems imposible to sleep past 4 am now days.

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Yea, I went through the same thing sleeping. I would climb in the recliner about 10 pm and was wide awake around 4-4:30 every day. May have something to do with not being able to be real active all day.Some days a quick 2-3 hour nap and I was good to go all day. Don't worry, take it easy and it will be alright.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had slap tear surgery on my shouder last year (nov) and it was long road to get it back in shape but i had physical therapy 3 days a week for 20 weeks . The sleeping part sucks for sure .

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks john

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks I do appreciate it, just going from always being on the go, to not being allowed out of a recliner for the most part just plans sucks lol. Since you have done several of these any other tips you may beable to give me. I know its not something you can rush, and if you do rush it plan on going through it again.
Sorry, didn't know you replied till now...what does the doc have you doing? as others have stated...dont try to over-do it.

Don't be shy about controlling pain. We don't automatically assume people are drug seekers. Often we find patients are in extreme pain but don't ask about drugs in fear of being labeled a medication seeker...if you are in pain, say so. That will help with comfort and sleep.

keep the sling on as your doc has planned. I don't know specifics on your case so its hard for me to make suggestions other than follow the doc's orders.

Get well

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not goin to bad, lucky enough my dad has offered to work in the shop on his days off so that's helping with the busness part. Pain isn't bad at all I was taking percocet forthe first 2 days but just taking a couple ib profen when sore. The only pt I'm allowed to due till about x-mas is touch my forehead 2 times a day then right back in the sling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts