Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone else running a cortex tuner on their 7.3? if so have you got the update released a few weeks ago? ive got a 4" turbo back, WW, k&n intake, banks bighead, and im seeing 35+ lbs of boost, 900 degree cold side egt, rolls black smoke like a train... <---:( im thinking id like to have my old update back, im not sure all this is good on my basically stock truck... is this going to cook my engine for me...?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I woudlld be swithcng to a custom tune on a chip from one of the sponsors on here.

I would also set that waste gate or lay off the pedal so as not to be reaching 35lb of boos if you care for your turbo to have any sort of life span. Its not making any more power that high anyways. 27 psi shoud be the max anything above it is a waste and greatly shortens it's life span.

From eveything and all that extra black smoke sounds like its over fueling.
That is just one of the great benefits to having a custom tuned chip. If that was happening in that case it would take a call and reburn and it would be fixed at no cost to you.

Matt @ gearhead
Swamps
PHP
any of the others can all set you up and you will be much better off than with the superchip

I am not sure about that specific super chip but Bill at PHP maybe able to burn a tune on it for you.

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
save the crap... k?

saying that, i adjusted the bighead back down, its about 2.5 turns from where it was before to get me to 25lbs. the code it was throwing when it was running around 35lbs was a p1249, wastegate test fail. now that i have it adjusted the code hasnt come back. does anyone know if custom tunes can be put on my cortex for my truck?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If it can be done Bil of PHP. I could be wrong maybe others or none can but my first bet woul be Bill. Give him a call.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do that, i appreciate it.

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
how about you just throw the superchips in the trash and get custom tunes. i think bill can only tune edges and you might want to get a new gauge if it reads 35psi

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the guage is just fine... and up until now the cortex has done all i need it to.

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
Just wait till you get some custom tunes. Youll be upset you didnt get a custom chip alot sooner. The difference is night and day.

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
if the newb wants to run a superchips and think its the chit then let him its only his fault and he will realize that when he spends the money on real tunes.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
if the newb wants to run a superchips and think its the chit then let him its only his fault and he will realize that when he spends the money on real tunes.
And all of ours if we do not try to help educate him on the differnces/ benefits between the two. After that you can bring them to water but.......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dont get me wrong, im not against custom tunes. but the truck came with the cortex, and until things take off this summer i wont be able to even look at custom tunes, i would be definitely interested in selling the cortex to someone who really wants it, to offset the cost of a custom chip, but i dont know which company i would want, i.e. dp, ts, or any other. if i knew i could offset the cost enough id put the cortex on ebay, as it will tune several other ford vehicles, not just a 99 diesel.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
get a ts style chip, just about everyone can burn it then, tw's are limited on burn capability

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
get a ts style chip, just about everyone can burn it then, tw's are limited on burn capability
Huh? Tony uses TS style chips. My chip from Tony says Bully Dog on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts