Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you explain to me why a Custom Chip is so much better than the Superchips 1805?

For a little background...I have 3 friends/mechanics who own 8 Super Duty 7.3 Power Strokes between them. They also work on them all day. The only mods they do to their own trucks is the Superchips 1805 and put it on the Tow Safe Tune(+47 horse and +82 torque)

My truck is stock and will most likely stay that way for now since it is a work truck.....Here is my goal with any tuner:

1. Keep the power at a safe level and not hurt the motor

2. Grab a little more power-no desire to have a flip chip that will allow me to switch to an insane power level at a moments notice(Lack of Will Power:D)

3. Not hurt the motor

Based on my goals...is a custom chip going to be that much better and if so can you please explain how?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Because the SC tri-tune is written full of generic tunes...a one-size fits all type of thing.

For the masses...it really isn't that bad. Thats what I began with. But...with a chip (insert your favorite tuner here)...they can write tunes specifically for your truck. What will get the best mpg for a 2003 7.3L truck...may not be what gets the best mpg for a 99 7.3L...and a tuner(ie somebody who has custom tunes) knows this. The SC tri-tuner doesn't.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
:whs: And the drive ability is so much better with a custom tuned chip... and most the time safer and better for the motor and tranny

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The superchips won't adjust transmission pressures, which can be rough on it. that's the biggest difference for me.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The biggest thing with a chip is the ability to change power levels on the fly.... Also IMO the tuning for the 7.3 by the big guys like superchips and others were really ever turned up all the way because people would still try to tow on the hottest setting and they knew that. Also flash tuners always start with your stock file wich may not give good shifting and lockup characteristics. A custom chip can give you the PMT1 shifting characteristics that everyone wants. You can't get this with a flash programmer unless you started with a PMT1 truck.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
To the OP, you can get custom tunes on a SCT and load the tunes the same way you load a superchip, no flipping between programs, you just plug into the OBDII port and load it, difference is better tunes. Like all stated above, the transmission get tunes, usually better drivability and its specific to your truck.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
I think the transmission is THE BIGGEST reason to get a custom chip. Let your buddys run what they will. Then custom tune your truck and see who has the best power/dependability/drivability.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah I've had two different super chips, the micro tuner(1805) and the cortex which I'm still running, and to be honest its ruining my transmission. It was rebuilt about 15k miles ago and i can tell how much its still wearing on it. Even when your just cruising it has shifting points like your racing and causes a lot of DTC. But the power difference in okay, i still would rather have a custom chip than a programmer.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Superchips, Hyperjunk, etc, etc is like getting a suit for a 45 yo white male. Well, to do that, you get a stretchy suit that will expand.

Custom chip (DP-Tuner for example) is like you telling the tailor your ht, wt, etc, etc.

Live Tuning is like the tailor measuring your each and every part and making sure it fits exactly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys....I think I understand a little better now.

Looks like I will forget the Superchips and go custom when I am ready.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks for the info guys....I think I understand a little better now.

Looks like I will forget the Superchips and go custom when I am ready.
Good choice. It is cheaper to do it right the first time as opposed to doing it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll make you a package deal on tuning your truck and mustang......:evil

LOL...that Mustang was tuned by a Master Tuner up in NH....that baby is all set until I crack the stock block:confused:

Thanks again for the info...once I am ready I will reach out to you and we can put something together....you answered a few of my ??s when I first was learning about the Power Strokes....so thanks

·
Got 'Er Did
441 Posts
i would have to disgree on the custom tune giving better economy.....i have had and edge juice, edge evolution, TS Performance flip chip, DP 80econ PCM, and DP 80 Tow PCM currently

i get sh*t mileage like 12.8mpg driving nice 10 mpg hard

best mileage i got was with the evolution which was only 16.8mpg

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
i would have to disgree on the custom tune giving better economy.....i have had and edge juice, edge evolution, TS Performance flip chip, DP 80econ PCM, and DP 80 Tow PCM currently

Probably because the truck is 10x better to drive with a chip verses the Superchips.. LOL

·
Britney's box is wrecked!
111 Posts

What type of driving ? Highway, city ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
As I thought about this during the day...about the only PRO of getting a handheld tuner versus getting a chip...is that the handheld tuner gives you the option of reading and clearing codes.

Get yourself a custom burnt chip...then find a cheap Superchips tuner on ebay for reading/clearing codes and get the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.