Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I trashed the outer u-joint on the passenger side of my 08 350... I had to drive the vehicle home so a few miles were put on it but no off roading. It was late at nite so it waited till the next morning for assessment. The next morning I see the caps came off the stubby shaft and the long axle was resting on the bottom of the tube and a small puddle of gear oil was on the ground.

Question... Is that a guarantee that the inner seal is cooked?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
why risk it? just replace it
to go that deep in the axle is a PITA, to do it twice is double the PITA

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
in theory unless you were in 4x4 or locked in the shaft shouldn't have spun on the way home so the axle may have just let fluid out if it was dropped down a little because of the ujoint and breaking the seal integrity but maybe not ruining the seal

not to mention the new style dust seals will hide a leaky inner seal so if your keeping the truck for a while it I would probably do the inner like mentioned but then the question is do you do both sides ??

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At about $150 a side for seals and ujoints on top of a $250 nut for replacing the axle that the ujoint failed on, I was already overextended as it was. It's now a week later and no dripy-drip. I shoulda bought a scratch off lottery ticket that day too I guess. The new style dust seal makes a whole lot more sense than the existing one too, although there is sufficient gap for gear oil to get thru.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
there is a little gap but the tube has to fill pretty far now where before it would drip out unhindered

I would have mentioned the new seal but I thought your 08 would have had it they started using them probably the day after your build date so your not that lucky after all LOL

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts