Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this summer heat is really getting to me this year, last couple of days in the mid 90s with heat index over 100-107. im a construction worker so ive got to be out in it every day, just trying to figure out some way to beat the heat? btw my son who is 17 tells me i just need to tuffen up, id just thought i throw that in.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
drink alot of water, stay hydrated

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I work in a Rubber injection molding shop that sees temps as high as 120 when its 90-100 outside........

Drink lots of fluid.....not pop/soda. water, gatoraide, poweraide...stuff like that.

oh yeah and tuffen up lol

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work in a Rubber injection molding shop that sees temps as high as 120 when its 90-100 outside........

Drink lots of fluid.....not pop/soda. water, gatoraide, poweraide...stuff like that.

oh yeah and tuffen up lol
my wife is a nurse and she said to get the benefits out of gatorade and poweraid is to drink one bottle of water to one bottle of gatorade? i tried that this week, seemed to make a little diff. btw. i just turned 45 and i would consider myself to be a little overwieght 6'2"230 lbs., i was thinking maybe some diet and exercise i might shed a few lbs. that might help the overall situation. i might just take my sons advice lol.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
my wife is a nurse and she said to get the benefits out of gatorade and poweraid is to drink one bottle of water to one bottle of gatorade? i tried that this week, seemed to make a little diff. btw. i just turned 45 and i would consider myself to be a little overwieght 6'2"230 lbs., i was thinking maybe some diet and exercise i might shed a few lbs. that might help the overall situation. i might just take my sons advice lol.
Im 6'3 and 150lbs....yes skinny, I also am very prone to heat strokes when it gets this hot. to give you an idea of how much gatorade we go through at work I make around 15 gallons of it per day when it gets 80+. Im not sure on the whole drinking some water to each bottle of gatorade but its worth a shot, main thing is to keep fluids in ya....bad part is that you will be pissing alot lol

·
Registered
545 Posts
Try one of those cool neck bandannas.

Keeping your ankles, wrists, and neck cool helps. Ever notice how washing your hands in cold water makes you feel better when it's hot? :D
I figured no sense in mentioning the head part.

And DONT wash your hands in the water jug. I fired 3 people over that. LOLLOLLOLLOL

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
For a while when I was stationed in TX, we were billeted in a temporary dorm while the regular facilities were getting remodeled. We didn't have any A/C in the temp quarters.

At the end of the day, what I'd do is go take a very cool shower. Everybody had a fan in their rooms. So I'd go from the shower while still dripping wet and stand in front of the fan. It was very effective at cooling a person down. It'd take me another couple or three hours in 90+ heat afterwards before I'd even start to sweat again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
drink plenty of water and gatorade but dont drink too much you'll end up throwing up

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What summertime heat? We haven't hit 80 degrees since October of 2009.

Water is best and I always do two-to-one water to gatorade. G2 is even better. I like Propel water too. Otherwise, shade is good, lighter color clothes, clothes that breathe well, all that.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Use anti deoderant or nothing. Not sweating in the heat is bad, real bad. Believe it or not long sleeves are better than short sleeves. You sweat, the sleeves get wet, along with the rest of the shirt. It keeps you cooler. And one of those little breezes feel oh so good.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Use anti deoderant or nothing. Not sweating in the heat is bad, real bad. Believe it or not long sleeves are better than short sleeves. You sweat, the sleeves get wet, along with the rest of the shirt. It keeps you cooler. And one of those little breezes feel oh so good.
fluids not to drink in hot heat would be .......

sorry your avatar made me think of that lol

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
fluids not to drink in hot heat would be .......

sorry your avatar made me think of that lol
If I am going to be working outside tomorrow, I only drink beer the night before, and not much of that. My days of working out in the heat all day everyday are behind me (thank the lord). Computers need A/C.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I know some guys that used to work at my shop would drink all night the night before come in and do know but sweat.......and work in slow motion with a hangover and run to the bathroom a few times to puke it up.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I learned the long sleeve trick from our warehouse guys. All Mexicans (legal), or Texicans.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I ran away to SoCal for the rest of the summer...screw that Texas heat. LOL

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Here's my recommendation, get a big water jug or if your contractor of employ has one pass this info along...dont mix the gatorade per the instructions put in just enough that it tastes sweet. This is the same effect as drinking twice as much water as gatorade. Unless you're training in that kind of heat you dont need that much sugar or potassium. Sugar makes you thirsty. You basically want the stuff just sweet enough that you'll drink plenty. It encourages drinking. Dont ice the hell out of it either.

In that kind of heat expect to spend about as much time drinking as working especially if you're in the sun.

I worked on a big bridge for two years and we were doing the pan deck in june and by july the bridge deck rebar mat was ready to start. Try humping bars all day on a 120* deck! I carried out 2800 feet of four lanes of road deck, me and my buddy. The first week they yelled at me becuz Id wear a rag that I passed off as a t-shirt. They wanted me to wear a safety vest. Too hot to wear a solid nylon vest and tshirt so I stuck to their rules, I wore a safety vest.....only...well I wore pants obviously but they were literally all holes except the pockets. So holy pants and a mesh safety vest was all I wore. THat made a huggge difference.

Just remember you decide if its too hot or not. Not your boss, not your steward, not the general, or anybody else. If you get sick they arent gonna stand behind ya then so dont let them put you in a bind now. If you feel hot, dizzy, and arent sweating, find shade and drink water until you cool down.

Another thing I liked to do was strip down to my boxer briefs at lunchtime and put my clothes on my vehicles hot sheetmetal to dry and then get in and turn the a/c on full blast. It really makes the afternoon bearable. Also keep some goldbond powder in your car and powder your bllas and ssa so they dont get raw. Change your socks at lunch too. Dont eat fuggin mcd's and that kinda crap when its hot. That'll contribute to your obesity or weight problem. Eat fruit, berries, and some protein(I like putting tuna or salmon in a ziploc container on ice). Another interesting fact two sweet potatos a week is just the right amount of beta-carotene to block most of the harmful effects of blue sun radiation.

Expecting your body to perform flawlessly in that kind of environment is a testament to how well you do or dont take care of yourself. Eat light, dress light, and drink as much as you can. The best part is if you can keep your pace up in the heat it'll melt that extra fat off your body w/o you changing anything else.

Good luck sir! Heat is no joke to say the least.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Long sleeves actually keep you cooler especially a long sleeve t-shirt that's one reason we wear them in the military...in Iraq and Afghanistan. The cool-it neck wraps are pretty decent especially if you can recharge/redunk them regularly. The cool showers work as well. Heat injuries occur because it's an accumilating affect. If you can "dump" that heat in you at night it's awesome. Also, hydrate the night before, not the morning of and continue to drink all day. If you don't have one already look into getting a camelbac, they're extremely handy. You can drink water all day as long as you are eating to replenish your electolytes. A problem we have had before is people drinking to much water (yes it can happen), and not eating because they were to hot. Put salt on your food too if you can. Sorry for the long post but after being stationed in Savannah and Columbus GA for the last 10 years and three deployments I know about beating the heatl.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts