Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have an ext cab and am running a single jl10w3v3. however i have it in a big box and it takes up a seat due to me having to fold the seat up. i want to add another sub and install them under the seat. question is should i stick with the the jl and lift the back seat due to the fact they have an almost 6" mounting depth or go with the slim pioneers. ill be changing from one amp to two amps. i was thinking about the new jl xd400 to run the front and rear focal 6.5" components. im going to use the xd600 for the subs. have you guys seen how small these amps are. its awesome you could put them anywhere. will i notice a difference between these subs. good or bad.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Please don't put a class D amp on your Focals.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you run. I would like a smaller amp as for size.

·
Registered
153 Posts
what seats do you have in the front? check out my pics for a sub. mine hits HARD for one 10".

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't want anything in the front. I have an 08 center console. All under the back seat

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I agree Focals even the cheapie ones deserve some good clean power. Class D is cool for subs and all but A will be much better for some good speakers like Focals.

I am pretty sure unbroken has/had the slim pioneers and liked them. I have heard them in a Dodge quad cab (from outside the truck) and they seemed to sound pretty good and definitely pound hard for being some shallow 12's.

Kicker also makes some shallow subs that are supposed to be much better than the pioneers, but they like more air space which kinda defeats the purpose of shallow subs. The Clarion shallow is supposed to sound the cleanest compared to the Kicker and Pioneers. Lots of other offerings out there too, one I would really like to try would be the Stereo Integrity BM II, Stereo Integrity | Home

That 08 console you got could house a 10 or some 12's with some simple modifications and still retain a decent amount of storage.

Those XD amps do look pretty sweet too. Sure wouldn't be hard hiding them away somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about the JL 13TW5's? I haven't heard them yet, as I don't know anybody with some, but that's what I've been planning on getting for my truck, and considering a JL 1000/1 amp to power a pair of them.

Here's a link to box I'll get for them, Clicky HERE

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
IMPO u will not need a 1000/1 i run one on a 13.5 w7 and man the amp is the best made its true RMS power!! A 500/1 will work fine a 500/1 jl put out as much or more power then a bd1000 fosgate or many other 1000 watt amps.

And if you want a good amp for your component speakers I would get a 300/4 jl audio

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
made a box for 3 10's this weekend. what amp would you guys go with. im gpoing to go get the pioneers tomorrow and figured i would pick up an amp also

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i get it. what amp would be a good one.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Well u are running three subs right how did you wire them what is your final ohm? i would go jl if you have the money if not them i like the kicker stuff its not the best but much less then say a 1000/1 jl like you were wanting!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well u are running three subs right how did you wire them what is your final ohm? i would go jl if you have the money if not them i like the kicker stuff its not the best but much less then say a 1000/1 jl like you were wanting!!
well at the moment im running just a single jl10w3. i haven't wired the three up yet. do i wire all three together then just have one set of speaker wires going to box. if so how do i attach them in the box? do all the positives go together and same with the negatives. kinda new to running more than one sub at a time. anybody have a diagram. so the 1000/1 jl would do the job
kyle

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Well what are the subs two or four ohm? that will make a big diff on how they get wired you may need to wire two in series then run the other of of a seprate amp at 4 ohms...It just depends...tell me what ohm the subs are and are they dual voice coil and ill tell how how to do it!!!

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
well at the moment im running just a single jl10w3. i haven't wired the three up yet. do i wire all three together then just have one set of speaker wires going to box. if so how do i attach them in the box? do all the positives go together and same with the negatives. kinda new to running more than one sub at a time. anybody have a diagram. so the 1000/1 jl would do the job
kyle
Not sure what setup you went with on the subs but for a quick and dirty wiring wizard the rockford fosgate one works great, Rockford Fosgate - Woofer WiringWizard

for example 3 single 4ohm subs,

I LOVE my sundown audio amps, absolutely ROCK solid and put out tons of power and its a small American company where you can get right in touch with the owner, Sundown Audio - Sundown Audio - Quality Mobile Amplifiers Subwoofers

BUT for having 3 subs and ease of use and the love of JL audio that everyone has... Biggest kicker the JL slash series amps have going for them is putting out their rated power at any resistance from 1.5-4ohms. This is where they become so pricey but its a pretty big deal that you won't find from many amps and works to your advantage especially when having an odd resistance setup that comes with 3 woofers.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Not sure what setup you went with on the subs but for a quick and dirty wiring wizard the rockford fosgate one works great, Rockford Fosgate - Woofer WiringWizard

for example 3 single 4ohm subs,

I LOVE my sundown audio amps, absolutely ROCK solid and put out tons of power and its a small American company where you can get right in touch with the owner, Sundown Audio - Sundown Audio - Quality Mobile Amplifiers Subwoofers

BUT for having 3 subs and ease of use and the love of JL audio that everyone has... Biggest kicker the JL slash series amps have going for them is putting out their rated power at any resistance from 1.5-4ohms. This is where they become so pricey but its a pretty big deal that you won't find from many amps and works to your advantage especially when having an odd resistance setup that comes with 3 woofers.
Yep you are SO right and with a something lower then two ohms and a cheap amp be prepared for CLIPPING up high...A jl 500/1 would work great and they can be found for decent prices...I have used the 500/1s,1000/1s, and 300/4s and they never get hot and i mean never no fans no special cooling just quality product...i run the 1000/1 on the 13.5 W7 and you cant handle being in the car with some rap or even a badass drum solo with it cranked up...and even after pounding on it the amps ne3ver get hot...try that with a fosgate or a kicker it just wont happen. The old prescion power ART series amps had the same basic setup as the new Jl amps the same guy desighed the SLASH stuff for both companys...but PPI is now junk IMPO

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I think I will do the jl 1000. Would the jl 500 be enouph for three subs. I'm doing the pioneer shallow mounts. I don't remember the ohms but did find all the diagrams. What's a good amp for my focals. I like jl and would like to stick with them.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
I would go with two 500/1s not a 1000/1 then u can run two off the 500/1 and one off the other 500/1 just turn it down. Thats what i would do. then u can run everything at 2 or 4 ohm if the subs are dual voice coil

1 - 20 of 40 Posts