Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 has developed the dreaded "drone at highway speeds" syndrome. After researching it on here, I took it in to the dealer about 10 weeks ago. (it's under warranty). I described the drone sound and told them from my research I thought it could be the turbo pedestal and or the turbo down pipe I was immediately met with "no, that's not it". I explained to them what I had read and it was still, "we'll check it, but I don't think that's it". They kept the truck for two weeks just to return it in the same condition. They did replace a leaking rear main seal and a front pump seal so not all was lost. When I complained that the noise was still there, they responded "all six liters do that". I was tired of my truck being parked at the dealership and decided to take it and just live with it.

Fast forward to Monday. Noise is getting worse. I take it back in and have service advisor listen to it. Agrees there's a noise. Tells me they need to keep the truck a "couple days". They call me today real excited and happy:
"Sir we discovered what that drone sound is...it's the TURBO PEDESTAL AND THE DOWN PIPE! Ford has a bulletin on it. Parts will be in tomorrow".

DUH, do ya think so?

Just another example of service departments thinking that all consumers are mindless idiots that have no idea what they're talking about.

I just hope this fixes the problem!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Question: I am not familiar with the issue with the pedestal and down pipe. What's the problem?

And NOBODY likes someone else telling them how to do their job, even if the other person is right.
I've never heard of success of telling a dealership "This is how to fix it, I read it online."
It just p!$$es them off.
Maybe next time let them attempt it, then when they don't figure it out give them some pointers. Just a thought. ;)

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Question: I am not familiar with the issue with the pedestal and down pipe. What's the problem?

And NOBODY likes someone else telling them how to do their job, even if the other person is right.
I've never heard of success of telling a dealership "This is how to fix it, I read it online."
It just p!$$es them off.
Maybe next time let them attempt it, then when they don't figure it out give them some pointers. Just a thought. ;)
Great advice^^^^^

·
Registered
421 Posts

It just p!$$es them off.
Exactly, everyone I work with hates it when drivers come in and tell them what exactly they think the problem is, even if they're right. I don't really mind it, unless they have an attitude about it. It seems to be alot easier around here for a driver to come in, tell them the symptoms, let the mechanic diagnose it and be done with it.

Not saying you were in the wrong for doing what you did because you had every right to tell them what the problem very well could be, but as Jim said noone likes being told how to do their job. Whether it be a sense of pride of them finding the problem themself and not just being a professional parts changer, or just thinking anyone that doesn't work in their shop is a mindless idiot, 99% of the time they would rather just do the diagnosing on their own.

Glad you got it figured out none the less!

Seth.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Good memory (maybe it applied to some 05's):

6.0 Moan/Droan Between 1500-2000 RPM:
Engineering has investigated this condition and found the cause to be engine firing pulses causing the turbo mounts to vibrate/resonate. For trucks built through 9-29-03 install a revised turbo pedestal, P/N 3C3Z-6N639-BA. Trucks built after 9-29-03, install a turbo bracket A-brace, P/N 5C3Z-6N639-BA. If the droan is still present after installing the brace on trucks built from 9-30-03 through 1-17-05, replace the turbo pedestal with 5C3Z-6N639-AA. Ensure the droan is not caused by a bound exhaust system. Inspect for any damaged or broken exhaust hangers. Check the turbo downpipe by loosening the pipe at the top and bottom, checking its alignment and retightening. If the droan is still present, check the part number embossed on the turbo pedestal just below the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler. If the number IS NOT 1846207C1, replace the pedestal with the above part. After replacement, or if the number IS 1846207C1, loosen the turbo inlet pipes and EGR cooler flange and neutralize by installing the components in this order: snug the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes; torque the EGR cooler clamp to 53 in/lbs; torque the pedestal bolts to 23 ft/lbs; torque the turbo inlet clamp to 9 ft/lbs: snug the inlet pipes to manifolds. Ensure all components are properly aligned. Torque the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes to 20 ft/lbs and the inlet pipes to the manifolds to 20 ft/lbs. Broadcast Message 0992, SSM 17530, TSB #04-9-4 & 05-19-12.

Also:
TSB 05-19-12 (OCT 05) ###Diesel Engine - Turbo Induced Exhaust Moan/Drone

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Well consider this. My girl works in the medical field as a provider. She routinely gets people coming in claiming the ailments as described on Dr. Oz....symptoms for things they DON'T have. My point is think about what you do for a living and how you like people telling you how to solve a problem.

Flame suit on so fire away.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Sounds exactly like most of my trips to the dealer when I still was warrantied, except usually when I got it back, it was more than a couple weeks, and even less had been done... less as in like nothing. It disgusts me to think about. I'm glad my warranty is gone now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It just p!$$es them off.

Yeah, I get that. I didn't TELL them how to fix it, I *suggested* what the problem could be because THEY COULDN'T FIND IT OR FIGURE IT OUT.

According to what they told me today, Ford sent out ANOTHER service bulletin on the '05/'06 trucks for moan/drone sound. Unrelated to the older one that involved earlier trucks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well consider this. My girl works in the medical field as a provider. She routinely gets people coming in claiming the ailments as described on Dr. Oz....symptoms for things they DON'T have. My point is think about what you do for a living and how you like people telling you how to solve a problem.

Flame suit on so fire away.
See my prior response.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good memory (maybe it applied to some 05's):

6.0 Moan/Droan Between 1500-2000 RPM:
Engineering has investigated this condition and found the cause to be engine firing pulses causing the turbo mounts to vibrate/resonate. For trucks built through 9-29-03 install a revised turbo pedestal, P/N 3C3Z-6N639-BA. Trucks built after 9-29-03, install a turbo bracket A-brace, P/N 5C3Z-6N639-BA. If the droan is still present after installing the brace on trucks built from 9-30-03 through 1-17-05, replace the turbo pedestal with 5C3Z-6N639-AA. Ensure the droan is not caused by a bound exhaust system. Inspect for any damaged or broken exhaust hangers. Check the turbo downpipe by loosening the pipe at the top and bottom, checking its alignment and retightening. If the droan is still present, check the part number embossed on the turbo pedestal just below the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler. If the number IS NOT 1846207C1, replace the pedestal with the above part. After replacement, or if the number IS 1846207C1, loosen the turbo inlet pipes and EGR cooler flange and neutralize by installing the components in this order: snug the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes; torque the EGR cooler clamp to 53 in/lbs; torque the pedestal bolts to 23 ft/lbs; torque the turbo inlet clamp to 9 ft/lbs: snug the inlet pipes to manifolds. Ensure all components are properly aligned. Torque the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes to 20 ft/lbs and the inlet pipes to the manifolds to 20 ft/lbs. Broadcast Message 0992, SSM 17530, TSB #04-9-4 & 05-19-12.

Also:
TSB 05-19-12 (OCT 05) ###Diesel Engine - Turbo Induced Exhaust Moan/Drone
Service department claims the latest TSB is unrelated to this one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know a guy that had an 07 that was under warranty. He had a 4" turbo back exhaust on it...everything else still stock.
He took it into the dealership because it was blowing out a ton of white/grayish smoke under a load.
They told him to go from motorcraft 15w40 to rotella 15w40. So he took his truck and switched oils and ran it for awhile....never stopped smoking. Then they told him to switch back to motorcraft 15w40....still smoked.
So he took it back to the dealership and they had it for about a week. Then they told him it was because he didn't have a cat.
So he took his truck again and threw his cat back on. Still smoked, just not quite as bad. He did notice a film of oil in the down pipe when he was re-installing the cat.
Took it back once again and they had it awhile and finally threw a turbo on it and it solved it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow...the 2 ford techs I deal with are all excited I know what's going on with my truck and even ask my opinion on what I think may be wrong.
I changed the #2 injector and did an oil change on mine today when I took the core back the tech came and asked how long it took me.I told him 3hrs for both,he thought it was cool I would do the job that fast with basic tools just hanging over the engine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What is this new TSB? Plz if you could find it for me because I have a horrible drone at 75. It sounds like the drive shaft is outta balance but if this is it that would make my day

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
I pretty much have access to copies of all of the TSB's - I don't see a more recent one on the moan/droan???

I will say that April of 2011 is the last TSB I see - maybe more recent than that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is this new TSB? Plz if you could find it for me because I have a horrible drone at 75. It sounds like the drive shaft is outta balance but if this is it that would make my day

It supposed to be done tomorrow. I'll see what the work order says and post it on here as soon as I can.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i greatly appricaiate it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds exactly like most of my trips to the dealer when I still was warrantied, except usually when I got it back, it was more than a couple weeks, and even less had been done... less as in like nothing. It disgusts me to think about. I'm glad my warranty is gone now.
Yeah that really pissed me off when i was told not to touch your head gaskets and the whole blame parts guy for your studs missing....

·
Registered
23 Posts
My '06 has developed the dreaded "drone at highway speeds" syndrome. After researching it on here, I took it in to the dealer about 10 weeks ago. (it's under warranty). I described the drone sound and told them from my research I thought it could be the turbo pedestal and or the turbo down pipe I was immediately met with "no, that's not it". I explained to them what I had read and it was still, "we'll check it, but I don't think that's it". They kept the truck for two weeks just to return it in the same condition. They did replace a leaking rear main seal and a front pump seal so not all was lost. When I complained that the noise was still there, they responded "all six liters do that". I was tired of my truck being parked at the dealership and decided to take it and just live with it.

Fast forward to Monday. Noise is getting worse. I take it back in and have service advisor listen to it. Agrees there's a noise. Tells me they need to keep the truck a "couple days". They call me today real excited and happy:
"Sir we discovered what that drone sound is...it's the TURBO PEDESTAL AND THE DOWN PIPE! Ford has a bulletin on it. Parts will be in tomorrow".

DUH, do ya think so?

Just another example of service departments thinking that all consumers are mindless idiots that have no idea what they're talking about.

I just hope this fixes the problem!
I seen the same report about the turbo pedestal I talked to my local ford dealership because my 05 F350 has the same issue with that annoying moan/droan I was told it is a revised part not a recall and the replacement pedestal is $500. Did you get yours under warranty?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
It supposed to be done tomorrow. I'll see what the work order says and post it on here as soon as I can.
sure would like to know if Ford listed a newer TSB # ..............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts