Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal. I'm looking at putting a 4" exhaust on my truck at tax time(IF I get any back this year!). I've looked at all the popular ones, prob going to go with magna flo. OK here's my ?. You know how banks has the power elbow, that will obviously only work with their exhaust kit. I want to put one on that will work with all exhaust kits. Who sells them? I want to see a picture? The reason I want one is to get rid of the gate that's in the stock one. I have turned blue in the face looking around here, and everywhere to no avail. Is there such a thing? Or do I need to bite my lip and get the banks system? When I do this I will be changing the up pipes as well. Thank you

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
why do you want a power elbow? dont really understand. You wont have to touch the up pipes at all. just get a diamond eye exhaust and be done. People make buying a exhaust way too difficult.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but my up pipes are leaking. I want to put bellowed ones on it and be done with it. As far as the elbow goes, it's the one thats on the turbo. Banks calls it a power elbow. They're the only ones I've seen advertised. I assumed someone else makes one to, just haven't seen one. I'm thinkin since I'm gonna be that far into it I'd do all I could in one shot.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
ya why do you want a elbow? still didnt answer the question? just get a turbo back exhaust system it comes with a down pipe that clamps to the turbo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are right. but the pipe that clamps onto the turbo, has inside it a warm up valve and not a true 4". The banks powerelbow would eliminate that valve all together, and be a true 4". I've tried to post the pic but I can't. To really see what I'm talkin about go to banks.com 99-03 powerstroke. powerelbow.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
oh ok, so your trying to eliminate the ebpv in the turbo or the butterfly valve, you know it really doesnt make a huge difference in performance right? you could just pull the turbo and either put in a van turbo which doesnt have that or drill the pins in the stock turbo and pull it that way. I personally wouldnt touch it as it makes a great exhaust brake and you wont notice if you eliminate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha ok cool! I just assumed getting rid of that valve all together would help some. I have it unplugged anyway. Like you say when I have it ripped apart I will just take the valve out! perfect thanks!

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
well most people call it a "high flow outlet" i installed one along with a non ebpv pedistal when i went the 38r route. i think i got mine for like 80 dollars and i think its was worth it and not havin to worry about the pedistal leakin is also a plus

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
as was stated above... Diamond eye... dirt cheap on ebay and GREAT.... I had it without a muffler for a long time but last summer I bought a big and very quiet muffler.... I love drifting a 10k lb dually and quiet as a stocker

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well most people call it a "high flow outlet" i installed one along with a non ebpv pedistal when i went the 38r route. i think i got mine for like 80 dollars and i think its was worth it and not havin to worry about the pedistal leakin is also a plus
ok cool,where did you get it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as was stated above... Diamond eye... dirt cheap on ebay and GREAT.... I had it without a muffler for a long time but last summer I bought a big and very quiet muffler.... I love drifting a 10k lb dually and quiet as a stocker
ok, I'm gonna check on the diamond eye system. thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yo know that butter fly why it does cause a small bit of restriction does have a benefit. It breaks up diffuses the exhaust flow coming out of the turbine housing. Normally it woudl come out swirling. Depending on whats moving faster the turbine wheel or the gas itself the swirl will either go the same direction as the wheel or opposite. Ideally you want to be broken up turbulent. Can be done bu going to an immediate larger flare up in size or something int he air stream like that valve will do it. Just something to think about.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Huh. When I pulled my turbo, exhaust, and the whole top of my motor off, I found nothing in the down pipe.

Most of the time I agree with you Tarm. Not this time though.

An exhaust system is just a bunch of pipe that gets the exhaust out from under the vehicle. Sometimes with or without a muffler. It ain't rocket science. Just get one that fits, throw it on, and be happy.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yep I did not put that the best way. What I was trying to talk about was the exhaust bypass valve. It being there can break up the swirl from the turbine wheel so its not all bad, thats all. BTW, not saying small the benefit out ways the cost.

One area ( of many) I really needed to catch up learning on was the tech on turbos. I have been trying to read as much as I can as well as talk to the guys that work with this stuff. i.e Garrett, Pius, books by Borg Warner IIRC. Hoping to fly out to Oregon and while there get to have a sit down with Pius and be schooled. I would be happy with just knowing the stuff he has already forgotten;). There is tons on the net but a lot of it you have to consider the source. May be a guy that knows his stuff or may be a 10 yr old. Outside of the net the info in print available to the public from confirmed sources is a bit more scare but at least the stuff you do find from known sources carries real weight.

As I am trying to set up my first 42 I was specifically looking at the tech on turbine housings and wastegates. There as mention of the ideal ways to setup the downpipe and exhaust. Part of what was said was what I posted up there; about the way the exhaust flows and that it needs to be broken up. One was to create expansion area immediately as you exit the turbine. Something to break up the swirl flow. I am trying to recall exactly but it was the piping should trumpet out. The ideal exhaust is really not one but just a short piece of pipe that increase diameter at about 10 degree angle looking very much like the bell on a trumpet.

Obviously that's not ideal for street use so they gave an example that looked to be a T4 turbine housing. It had the 4 expand out to 5" then continue at that size out down and out of the pic. I got to say a bunch of it was interesting and I think Slowly I am getting a better handle on it all. Ton of math in there as well. Pages and Pages of it as a matter of fact.

Another thing it cleared up for me was about fuel scavaging. I have seen it posted on the net about the exhaust piping having some effect. According to the info from BW its all done by the turbine housing. It specifically state the stuff about running a smaller exhaust to help is nothing but old wives tales. Same thing goes for the need of some back pressure from the exhaust to help spool up or any neg effect from going larger. The ideal was stated as keep it as large ( in diameter) smooth and as short as it can be for best perf. I can why hood stacks are used for pulling.

Based on that I am guessing for me as I am running a T4 which is 4" so flare out to 5" with the down pipe and take it back.

I wish there was more diesel specific info ( there is some) but its really helped me understand a good bit more but at the same time how very little I really do know. :doh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow that's heavy! I did finally get to see the elbow I wanted to see. sinnister has it and a pic of it (I don't think I spelled that right!). That's probably the only website I didn't look at. When I do it I'm gonna do the turbo ped to. Like you say I hope I'm not gonna waste money, diffuse is good to. I want the most bang for my buck. It just seems to me less stuff in the way is more flow.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
if you want bang for your buck get the diamond eye and leave the ebpv alone and save your coin for better gains elsewhere...... example a ww will do more for less..... If you want to spend quite a bit more on a negligible gain the go for it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I agree. Its very hard to argue with 260 for a 4" aluminized turbo back setup. Quality is good maybe upgrade the clamps if you want it perfect.

It is exactly what I went with but I am running a T4 mount turbo so the pedestal is going bye-bye.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I agree. Its very hard to argue with 260 for a 4" aluminized turbo back setup. Quality is good maybe upgrade the clamps if you want it perfect.

It is exactly what I went with but I am running a T4 mount turbo so the pedestal is going bye-bye.
prob so is the down pipe..:poke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts