Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone new to this forum . just purchased first diesel 1996 f250 7.3 128000 miles done a few things to it first rebuilt turbo replaced vch and idm. issue running rough missing #5 and #7 are not firing.ohmed wires from vch to idm all in range .checked ground also all were good . ohmed injectors all in range .I do not think im getting power to the idm from pcm for #5and#7 and was trying to figure away to test that run. also got issue with obd2 pluged in doggle links up fine with torqe pro but when I run diagnostic the motor spits and sputters and dies on occasion and shows no codes. any info on what to do and were to look would b greatly app.thanks again in advance burly73

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The torque app will not run codes. I have heard that car gauge pro will but I haven't tried it. Also car gauge pro can run a buzz test and I believe that would help in this situation.

What idm did you replace yours with?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks plzstrokeme for fast reply idm from all computer resources it was idm 100 lifetime warranty. could u give me arun down on buzz test I will try car gauge pro tonight if I can get how to on buzz test thanks again

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The buzz test may or may not help you. It basically just fires the solenoids so you can listen to them and make sure your pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ran buzz test all buzzed but were very low buzz .tried to run again after firing truck up and could not hook up to obd2 doggle. when firing truck up hard start and after running unplugged #5 and#7 vch no change in engine . I did use carpro gauge app. really stumped ! if buzz test buzzs does that mean im getting power there ? if power is not the issue then why missing and running ruff . thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So when you did the buzz test they all buzzed the same? If they all buzz then the problem could be something else. You could pull the valve covers and start the truck. Look and make sure all the injectors are spitting oil and about the same amount of oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks plzstrokeme for your help. yes they all were light buzz. now when I try hooking the obd2 doggle to phone it reads error code check obd2 connector or vehicle ecu . cigerett lighter still has power and works, power light on doggle but will not connect to vehicle .by the way I have tried three different obd2 doggles. will check if all the injectors r spitting the same amount of oil. thanks again for any and all help!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I had a buzz test done mine all buzzed pretty loud. If by light buzz you mean it was quiet then I would say you may still have an idm issue. Its like the idm is not putting out enough power to activate the solenoids correctly. Is it doing the same thing it did before you replaced the idm? I wish I could be more help but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it is doing exact same thing it was before new idm .im thinking maybe ecu might b going out ? any tall tell signs to look for .was wondering how to test it short of putting different one in. quick question is there a difference between ecu and pcm or r they the same thing ?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
They are the same. Do you have a chip?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
had one that plugged in the obd2 connector that's it. stock all the way across . it is nitro obd2 performance chip tuning box .trying to get better fuel milage, don't know to much about them . like I said first diesel lol

·
Project Shamu
2,411 Posts
It is possible it was a bad IDM that you installed. Wouldn't be the first time.

For the sake of diagnosis, remove the tune that you installed via the obd2 port. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How do the wires that go to the passenger side injectors look ? The harness that crosses over by the fuel filter housing is bad for being oil soaked which allows the rubber on the wires to break down and " leak" voltage to the injectors . They typically will show continuity but are unable to carry the current load . I'd pull the conduit off and inspect the harness .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well last night took passenger side valve cover off. started first time number 1-5-7 were not pumping oil shut off .tried scanning with car gauge pro a half dozen times at least nothing . went had bite to eat . tried scanning again this time hooked up for 45 seconds and then disconnected . started truck again and checked passengers side oil pumping now I had 3-5-7 all pumping like a video showed they should b . number 1 only one not pumping .shut off ohmed front harness connector number one and showed .3 all other on that bank ohmed 2.9 and 3.0 really stumped!!! to longjonsilver checked but going to do a more thurough run threw . lt. dan I did remove the tune that is were I plug doggle in thanks again everyone for the help .learning on the go

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I would inspect the uvch's for burnt pins and cracked insulation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
would the injectors not working properly cause significant blowby. first diesel learning on the fly !!! found out from previous owner that truck was farm truck and sat for a few years before I bought it. only has 128000 miles on thought I was getting a good deal !! now not so sure I already replaced the passenger side uvch . turbo rebuilt and new idm waiting on other side. trying to get passenger side fixed first. thanks again for all suggestions keeping coming ! only way this truck gets back on road !

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Alright, Google superduty diagnosis on the cheap. If you have a laptop you can run forscan on a laptop. This will be able to run a buzz test to see if you have injector or wiring issues. You can use the dongle that you have if your laptop is Bluetooth compatible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
back at it again! SBLUKE55 would work but my truck port will not talk to my cell phone when hooked up to carpro or torque pro . thinking might have to tear ecu out and send in will try forscan .thanks again everyone . learning on the fly!!1

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Can you connect to any other vehicle using torque.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts