Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my truck is not puking at the moment would it be safe to do studs one by one with out pulling the heads to get me buy untill I can do a full gasket job?

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is posible and has been done by several. There is a write-up either on here or the .org

If your not having any issues it might just work!! The studs get torqued down so much tighter that if the heads and gaskets are ok, it should just compress the gasket a bit more.

It is still a ton of work, and I personally would just tear it down, but to each their own!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I ran my truck hard one day a couple months back and puked but then took it to a dyno and ran the piss out of it all the way down and back to Oregon. And I have towed some things with it too. I haven't had it puke since the first time. One stud at a time a good idea?

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I don't think it a good idea personally, but I have heard it has worked for some. I would do it once and do it right.

·
Registered
287 Posts
it certainly is an easy way to do it and has been done with success, but has also been done and messed up heads and gaskets. its ur truck so do what u want, but i dnt think its a good way to do it. the head gaskets are only supposed to be crushed once and with the change of torque, even if you torque them to 150 and then to whatever they recommend, it still changes cylindar pressures and could kill the hg. its been debated 4 quite some time.

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just trying to get it done wonder what a stud job would cost

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Do them one at a time. The only people who say it isn't right are the guys who have never tried it. Ones who do one at a time all seem to recommend doing it the same way. Kind of ironic if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Had a friend whos heads were cracked, he wanted to do it as cheap as he could, brought it in, he did all the work. Reused the gaskets, unmachined heads off another motor that blew up, pulled them off and changed it all over, never puked. Not saying you should try this at home, but i mean really, how big of a deal is it. Oh, this guy is on the pedal 100% of the time, bouncing off the rev limiter every shift. Another guy who tows 12k in the race tune, same way, literally does not take his foot off the floor unless he has to stop, hills, flat doesnt matter, always on the floor. And his truck was done one at a time, never puked either.
These are my extreme examples but I think they do a good job of proving the point that studs one at a time is just fine, unless you have REALLY cracked heads. And then your motor is probably not running good, at all.

Lots of gasser guys reuse stainless gaskets, its not like you can blow the gasket, its stainless steel, not pressed together particles.

·
powerstroker6.0
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess its worth a try

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do it! I'm going to do it this summer probably and I puked one out the degas bottle. I think I will be good tho.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hate to admit it but I've had some engines that I wasn't able to get new gaskets in a timely manner an have reused the headgasket. If I recall this was on a Ford inline 6 diesel (6.6l and 7.2l if i remember right). Never had a problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Then it doesn't work. Fix it again and sell it! Haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts