Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
User Error
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pull axle shafts out of the front axle to replace ball joints and axle u-joints. I've got the axle out about 3/4 inch and won't go any further. The seal is loose in the spindle housing which makes me think the shaft is hung up in the axle housing somehow. Looked in the differential, no c-clip or retaining pin. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The seal has two parts, the movement is most likely the inner portion of the seal moving within the outer. The outer part can really stick in the knuckle. Use two pry bars, one on either side and pry it out evenly. Can take some force if been in there for a while. Plan on replacing the seals if you are still using the ESOF.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The seal has two parts, the movement is most likely the inner portion of the seal moving within the outer. The outer part can really stick in the knuckle. Use two pry bars, one on either side and pry it out evenly. Can take some force if been in there for a while. Plan on replacing the seals if you are still using the ESOF.
:whs:

Pry harder

·
User Error
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got new seals. Took about 45 sec being very careful with the air chisel to push the seal out and one good pop with a prybar on the u-joint knuckle. Now the problem is, I broke the ball joint press. So now what? New spindle? Tried heat, air hammer, more heat, more hammer, a whole can of PB Blaster throughout the entire evolution and nothing. All I have left is a 25 ton press but I don't wanna crack or bend the ear the upper ball joint sits in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
616 Posts
You're not going to break anything if you jig them up properly in the press. Using the spacers from the ball joint press in the big press should work. You did remove the c-clips right?

·
User Error
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out I didnt need the 25 ton press. Jigged it up in a vise, a few knocks with a 3# mini sledge to break em loose, hooked up the ball joint press and that's all she wrote. Install went smooth albeit not reinstalling the axle shaft, I capped off the axle tube and hub bearing with some tight-fitting plastic caps and a few spots of 8802 to keep them there til I get new shafts. I doubt I'll be able to get the u-joints replaced without breaking the ears off the shafts, they're frozen in solid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Its worth a try if you would end up replacing them either way. I've had them come through my shop in pretty rough shape, never needed to replace one.

·
User Error
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would consider these in pretty rough shape. To the point where when using a mallet & punch to remove c-clips just cuts the clip. Doesn't even break off little pieces. I suppose I could grind the clips with a Dremel or something like that. Any other suggestions? Also there's enough gap between the caps to cut the core out but without a mini hydraulic spreader how would I get the caps out even if I was to remove the c-clips? The only thing I can think of is to grind the cap heads and find a socket that's the perfect size to press the cap cylinder out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts