Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1st time owner
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 f350 psd cc lwb 312k
I was hoping i could do some weekend driving for about another year while i acquired parts for an engine rebuild. My truck had other plans, exhaust blows out of the dipstick like its a dual exhaust, top end pisses fuel, glow plugs/glow plug relay are bad, hard to start/ doesnt start after its been sitting over night. farts white smoke when it does start. I could fix this n that and hope for the best but i say screw im yankin the bastard out and doing it right, and hopefully get another 300k out of it. the only problem is i have no idea where to start. I have seen new engines around $7500, but I was leaning towards a rebuild. im not into crazy power because reliability is going to bey key for me. My plan for the truck essentially is to make a "poor mans" earth roamer, so i will be taking it for extended periods of time as far from asphalt as i can get. with that said, here are some questions that i have.
what rebuild kits have any of you used/had success with while running more hp than stock?

How much horsepower justifies needing ARP head studs? (are they really worth $600)

is there any rebuild kits that come with connecting rods?

if i want to run 320-350 hp max, does that justify getting billet connecting rods, or will oem rods do?

What intake, exhaust, turbo kits out there would you recommend? ive been looking at the banks kits and was wondering if the power pack would be over kill for what im looking to do.

overall i would like to crank a bit more power to the wheels, without compromising the legendary durability of the 7.3. any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

PS4L

·
Vtwinrunning
14 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a electronically injected 7.3 and you can make 500 hp without a lot of money being spent. Don't get me wrong your 95 is/was a great motor but you will never be able to what you can do to a 99 or later 7.3. Would be cool if you could install a 99 or later 7.3 in your 95

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RIGHT!! ^. What I would do if I was you I would pull your motor and put new oil cooler o rings and valve cover gaskets, pigtails, glow plugs, gpr, fix your fuel leak. I would just delete the fuel bowl and pump and go with an efuel setup. Rebuild it also, or try to find another with lower miles and swap them out.As for wanting to make 300-350 hp is a good goal. Would make for a fun truck. Banks is just paying for a name. I'm not a big fan of that. You don't need headstuds done for that much hp, it's really for a piece of mind at that hp level, 450 and up I would put a set in. As for connecting rods you should be fine because you have a forged rod block. If I'm not mistaken all obs trucks have forged rods while 99 and up have pmrs. A good intake is a 6637 kit or diy. An exhaust system diamond eye is good, mbrp fits a little odd sometimes. A d66 turbo would be nice with a set of injectors and a good healthy 17* hpop and tuning of course you would be at your hp goal and have good reliability, just gotta take care of your transmission with a 6.0l torque converter and a valve body from jw or racer x. A set of gauges is a must and a intercooler for that hp..if it was me.With all that done you should have a nice setup. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of my information guys, I'm still learning, this is just what I have collected and have learnt from reading on here and working on my truck which is a electronically injected 7.3 and is a 95. :ford:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a electronically injected 7.3 and you can make 500 hp without a lot of money being spent. Don't get me wrong your 95 is/was a great motor but you will never be able to what you can do to a 99 or later 7.3. Would be cool if you could install a 99 or later 7.3 in your 95
What? If its a psd it's electronically Injcted.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Dude, go back to whatever corner you came from and stay there to think about what you just said. THE 1995 IS A POWERSTROKE. Same EXACT engine as in a '99, with subtle differences. And the '95 engine is capable of handling more horsepower than a '99+ engine, because of the strength of the internals. It's the externals (injectors, turbo, HPOP, etc) that you have to change out to get the increased power.

·
1st time owner
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RIGHT!! ^. What I would do if I was you I would pull your motor and put new oil cooler o rings and valve cover gaskets, pigtails, glow plugs, gpr, fix your fuel leak. I would just delete the fuel bowl and pump and go with an efuel setup. Rebuild it also, or try to find another with lower miles and swap them out.As for wanting to make 300-350 hp is a good goal. Would make for a fun truck. Banks is just paying for a name. I'm not a big fan of that. You don't need headstuds done for that much hp, it's really for a piece of mind at that hp level, 450 and up I would put a set in. As for connecting rods you should be fine because you have a forged rod block. If I'm not mistaken all obs trucks have forged rods while 99 and up have pmrs. A good intake is a 6637 kit or diy. An exhaust system diamond eye is good, mbrp fits a little odd sometimes. A d66 turbo would be nice with a set of injectors and a good healthy 17* hpop and tuning of course you would be at your hp goal and have good reliability, just gotta take care of your transmission with a 6.0l torque converter and a valve body from jw or racer x. A set of gauges is a must and a intercooler for that hp..if it was me.With all that done you should have a nice setup. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of my information guys, I'm still learning, this is just what I have collected and have learnt from reading on here and working on my truck which is a electronically injected 7.3 and is a 95. :ford:
I really appreciate the input. as for the rods i just figured while i have everything in pieces might as well put them in. even if its not necessary, its worth the piece of mind to me. as for the tranny why a 6.0l torque converter?

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Go to riffraff get a rebuild kit. For that power level I'd just do 160/30 injector with an s366 or modded h2e turbo. Id do efuel and intercooler. Pick up a good 17 degree hpop or some like a honey badger jr. All of these things are relatively easy with the engine out. Or you could find a good low mile engine, forged or pmr in your case since your hp goal is lie and throw it in. Tranny I'd do a bts valve body and good cooler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts