·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
I've wondered this as well. 444cu to a 476cu :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it will be expencive to get the cranks made but im thinking that Stock lenght rod can be used. Im going to dig into this alittle more and see what I can come up with, I have a motor build going on my truck. Possible test bed, have afew cranks i can spare. It will have a bore to it as well not sure on how far yet. After truckfest I can start on it more.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you were always the one telling me that there is no replacement for displacement.. correct? Custom pistons with larger fuel bowls.

As far as fuel, Shouldnt be an issue if David can make some 1000hp capable injectors. I have 3 engines that will be going in and out of my truck for testing. all different HPs. I will prob get some help from the rite people in doing a stand alone oil system for the sticks! Lotts idea, just has been done yet!

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
What specifically goes on when you do a stroker kit?

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
A stroker kit would be nice. Maybe something like from a 7.3 to a 6.8 or so.

;)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you are going with billet rods an offset grind would be easy and that works both ways - bigger or smaller stroke. Rods would be the only real spendy part about the deal, the crank grind isn't bad for cost. An entire new crank with a different stroke would be nice but even more money than the new rods would be I'd imagine - at least for good material anyway.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talking about a complete new crank. Billet rods. Im sure the first one will be a weld and regrind to get the throw longer. Like I said this is just idea, havent done enough measuring just yet.

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
dmax's and cummins both have stroker kits

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know and if a stroked cummins can make 1000+ with a VP44 on fuel that is saying something..... It works!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you are going with billet rods an offset grind would be easy and that works both ways - bigger or smaller stroke. Rods would be the only real spendy part about the deal, the crank grind isn't bad for cost. An entire new crank with a different stroke would be nice but even more money than the new rods would be I'd imagine - at least for good material anyway.
Offset grind would deffinetly be the easiest and cheapest way to do it! The only issue would be using smaller journal rods. I dont know if that would cause a problem but just a thought anyway. Use that with stock length rod and shorter pistons.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Offset grind would deffinetly be the easiest and cheapest way to do it! The only issue would be using smaller journal rods. I dont know if that would cause a problem but just a thought anyway. Use that with stock length rod and shorter pistons.
If you don't want a smaller rod journal you can weld the crank and re-grind. With proper equipment welding cranks can be done and maintain OEM or better strength and fatigue properties. I just had B&G do a 16v MTU crank for me that wiped out two rod journals and beat up a main pretty bad. There are not many shops that have the equipement to do it properly and it is expensive, but it's still less money than having a new crank built.

There is a limit to how much you would want to grind the crank, what exactly that limit is I'm not sure. If you welded the crank you could use any of the current rod offerings and raise the wrist pin. I wouldn't mind seeing if Ross can build a piston that will hold up in a diesel. The last info I got from Ross here a while ago claimed they now offer diesel pistons in a variety of bore and pin dementions.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
By looking at the piston I'd say they have some room. Just a matter of what piston mfg is willing to play. Still be killer if Mahle would step up and build some steel pistons for the PowerStrokes. Typically you don't see steel pistons in mid-range parent-bore diesels, but if done correctly would greatly reduce heat stress failures. No matter the materail some custom measurements are gonna be needed for a project like this.

Have you started pricings some new stuff yet? Gonna do forged steel? Just weld and grind?

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Are you asking what parts it takes to create a stoker engine, or are u asking the way it works in the engine?
Both. What parts, machine work, etc..., what it's supposed to do, and how it's supposed to accomplish it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts