Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oil cooler replaced about a month and a half ago. My temps were always within 15 degrees of one another. One day when picking up and bringing a horse back about an hour away my temps steadily climbed to 50 degrees apart on the highway. Had the truck in the next day. Since the new oil cooler, temps driving around usually stay within 6-9 degrees apart empty. However, when towing on the highway temps stay anywhere from 16-22 degrees apart consistently (Seems a little high). Neither goes over 200 degrees though like when I had trouble with it. From what I've read, the temps I'm seeing now aren't normal. Is something going or just keep driving it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i recall, pulling on the highway at 72ish, they are in the 170's, 180's, 190's. Should have written them down

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat may be staying open! Might replace it just for the heck of it. Very easy and at least you can rule that out!

·
Registered
287 Posts
ya ia gree. my ect was at 172 max and eot was 192. with the new thermostat, i have a 10* delta. ford thermostats usually go at 100k and stick open so they run cold.

·
Registered
357 Posts
red horse we need to see working temps for both oil and coolant. then we can see if it is low coolant temp, or high oil temp. low coolant temp =thermostat, high oil temp = cooler plugged up again, or other cooling system problems

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
if you had a good oil cooler the temps would be close to each other ie: with a bad thermostat your oil temp would be in the 170's along side the coolant temp.

Looks like a bad thermostat and a clogged oil cooler to me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I also think it is a t/stat but for it to climbed to 50 degrees spread on the highway i think it was stuck closed for a short time and now it is stuck open, is it a stock Ford t/stat now get a new one from Ford
3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat with housing with o-ring
2 stroker

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 50 degree spread was before the new oil cooler, it stays close to 20 now on the highway or towing. I've read up on the thermostat symptoms and that sounds likely. The truck needs a few other little things and is 50 miles away from 200,000 so maybe its just time to trade up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The temps i've been seeing are similar to joe r dogs post above... same situation

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
I have maintained a 15*+ split after my oil cooler replacement. I think the PCM is the culprit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it to the shop today, on a highway trip this morning the ECT didnt move past 174 doing 80mph while the EOT was 190-192

·
Registered
357 Posts
as long as the oil temp is in what would be the "normal range" ignore the BS about the oil cooler. what you have is not high oil temps, but abnormally low coolant temps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coolant and oil coooler's fine, sounding like just a thermostat to me and that's what they're replacing.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
heres the thing is his oil cooler was working properly, than his oil temp would be even or very close to his coolant temp...

·
Registered
357 Posts
sorry pizza you are WRONG. that is only true if the coolant is the correct temp, which it won't be if the thermostat is NFG. any ford tech will tell you the test is only valid at full operating temp. what part of 170 f sounds like full operating temp to you.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I dont see how that is possible, my coolant temps were only 174 with a bad thermostat and my oil temp was 201-203... when i replaced my oil cooler my coolant and oil temps were in the 174 range... then i replaced my thermostat and both were at the normal 192*

prove me wrong

1 - 20 of 38 Posts