Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 F250 all stock.
Bought it with 64.000 miles after a kid plowed into my 2001 F250 that might have been my most treasured item on earth. Was a lot scared of buying anything other than 7.3, and my experiences with this 6.4 have justified that fear.
Truck now has 72,000 miles. I've changed the oil twice (once when I bought it and then again 5000 miles after. Used Motorcraft 15 40, and I check the fluids almost neurotically, drain the water separator weekly, and I DO NOT rag on this truck.
Drove to Minnesota 2 weeks ago in -40 weather, and experienced gelling and ice chunks in the frame filter. Replaced the filters with non-Motorcraft because that's all I could find (at $40 per filter), used some Howe's additive that guaranteed no gelling or they pay the tow. Filled up with #1 diesel as soon as possible and finally got the thing down the road after getting south enough to warm up 20 degrees. No problems since. It's ran like a top.
This morning, start the truck, let it warm for 15-20 minutes like I do EVERY morning, and all was well. Came home, parked it, left a while later for a 100 mile trip and made it about 80 when I noticed that the truck was starting to getting laggish... just like it did in Minnesota when the fuel froze up. However, today was 26 degrees, not -40. I instantly drew on the fact that I filled at a station that I never fill at, and it's all I had to go on.
The truck didn't stall, but just idled poorly, and when I stepped on the accelerator, NOTHING happened. I turned the vehicle off, then started, but it took about 3-4 starting cycles to get the truck to idle with any purpose. It would let me accelerate 500 feet, then it would die again. I limped it to Auto Zone where they put the scanner on, after which, the vehicle would turn over, but not start.
Codes were as follows:
P0232, P0488, P2033, P2291, and P2085. These all had to do with injector pressure, fuel pump pressure and exhaust temp sensors. FInally had it dragged to a Ford dealership, and had to leave it. I'm thankful that there WAS a Ford dealer/service station, and that my wife was close by to pick me up. However, I'm a little worried about leaving the truck with someone else, 80 miles away. I, myself, believe that the filter on the frame, or the screen in the tank is clogged, and that all the codes came from fuel starvation. However, there is all kinds of hellfire and brimstone on the internet, and I'm conceding some concern here. Thus my visit here. I've been wanting to become a member for awhile, and this lends a good excuse. Could any of you lend some smarts on my current issue? Thanks.

·
Administrator
32,981 Posts
hoping for the best

the original issue wasn't the trucks fault IMHO that is cold I always add anti gel when i go up north and thats not even close to what you were in

as far as the second fail I am worried about the non OEM filters but thats just my first thought

·
Administrator
32,981 Posts
ps there is a bypass that will suck open on the pickup if the filter clogs plus not only is there a screen if the base is set to the bottom of the tank like it is supposed to be those little black stand offs work as a filter also

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely, Zmann, me or my friend were not very happy about putting the off brand filters in. At the time, (after inspecting the old filters), we believed, however, that clean, new non OEM would be better than nasty old dirty OEM. I think that I'll have the Ford Dealership put in OEM regardless of the diagnosis.
And amen, it was all of Minnesota's fault earlier. I didn't have the 01/7.3 in -40 but it was purring in some pretty damned cold stuff here in Michigan... and I don't ever remember any issues.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Screw Howes.....I never gelled till recently. Your current symptoms are classic gelling issue. Use dome Power Service 911 next time (if there is one). Use Power Service WHITE bottle at there recommended dosage. I've been out west and no issues since I dropped Howe's.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ive only gelled up once and that was from buyin fuel from a station i dont ever use it was a bp never again will i use that place i was angry

·
Registered
955 Posts
hoping for the best

the original issue wasn't the trucks fault IMHO that is cold I always add anti gel when i go up north and thats not even close to what you were in

as far as the second fail I am worried about the non OEM filters but thats just my first thought
I am leaning with both of Zmann's post and others. Gelled fuel and then crappy filters. The fuel system on these thngs are very touchy. Oh yeah, if the truck wouldn't turn over it has gone into protection mode due to lack of RP. IIRC you have to wait 1 hr (or reset) the computer before it allow you to try to start it (don't hold me to this).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford dealership called and said the lift pump is gone, filters are filthy and the fuel coarsing through the system smells like solvent and has the consistency of water. They say that there is no doubt that it was a bad tank of fuel. On top of the tow bill, fuel pump, filters, diagnostics and labor... They now had to drop the tank and drain the 3/4 tank of crap diesel. Called the gas station and they took info, said that someone from "corporate" will call. Almost makes me want to go back to gas if I make it out alive. Even though the dealership didn't say it, I'm worried about injectors and high pressure pump now too. What a mess.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ford dealership called and said the lift pump is gone, filters are filthy and the fuel coarsing through the system smells like solvent and has the consistency of water. They say that there is no doubt that it was a bad tank of fuel. On top of the tow bill, fuel pump, filters, diagnostics and labor... They now had to drop the tank and drain the 3/4 tank of crap diesel. Called the gas station and they took info, said that someone from "corporate" will call. Almost makes me want to go back to gas if I make it out alive. Even though the dealership didn't say it, I'm worried about injectors and high pressure pump now too. What a mess.
Did you ask them to keep a sample? No doubt this is a mess, but I would make sure you have evidence just in case it gets more complicated. Good luck.

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
I hope you have samples of the fuel, and receipts of purchase. Id make the company pay for all the work, there's not a fuel at your own risk sign at service stations. I would keep all your documentation in order just in case it gets nasty with the fuel company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They kept a sample, sealed it and signed. Google brings a few results where the same company has had a couple different contaminations, including 2 weeks ago when unleaded was put at station in the diesel tank. Hopefully they just do the right thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meijer, a Michigan based company that my family has shopped at for 30+ Years denied that their fuel was contaminated even though the Ford dealership confirmed it and provided a sample of the piss-quality, watered-down solvent-like diesel. $1000 repair bill will cost them thousands over me and my family's lifetime.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Meijer, a Michigan based company that my family has shopped at for 30+ Years denied that their fuel was contaminated even though the Ford dealership confirmed it and provided a sample of the piss-quality, watered-down solvent-like diesel. $1000 repair bill will cost them thousands over me and my family's lifetime.
I hate to hear they wouldn't do the right thing in the first place, but at least Ford keep a sample to confirm that the fuel was bad. Good luck with everything.

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts