Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally installed an in-cab fuel pressure gauge last night. My results actually surprised me. I've got the ITP regulated return system, but for right now the rest of the system is stock. This is on the stock AD's as well.

In my 120 and 140 programs, from an idle if I floor it, my pressure drops clear down to 20psi instantly. It's around 40psi when it shifts to second then slowly climbs to 60.

When the trucks already moving if I floor it, pressure slowly drops from 65psi to around 55psi.

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend. Just thought I'd let you guys know, maybe it's something to look at. I would've never imagined it would do that with stock injectors, but it does...

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I have herd of that happening before. That's what prompted me to put in a fuel pressure gauge three weeks ago.

My fuel pressure drops from 64 to 56 in both 120 and 140 with my stock AB injectors. I am going to larger sticks tomorrow. I don't trust the stock fuel systems either. Last night I picked up the regulator, fittings and hose. I am picking up the filters from Napa today for my fuel bowl delete. Now I have to select a pump for the system and git-r-done.

Keep Strokin'

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the past month, I've noticed my truck doing the same thing. It didn't used to do it. I've done all the usual fuel system mods (regulated return, in-tank & pre-pump mods), would a lift pump help?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Sand nut and rockin check out the promo video in the sponsors section for Terminator Engineering.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to be running two stock pumps parallel with each other. Hopefully that will keep up with the demands.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My FASS system is holding 60 at WOT finally.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad you got yours working right Fiona...how do you like it? Your truck has pretty much the same set-up as mine will...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I finally installed an in-cab fuel pressure gauge last night. My results actually surprised me. I've got the ITP regulated return system, but for right now the rest of the system is stock. This is on the stock AD's as well.

In my 120 and 140 programs, from an idle if I floor it, my pressure drops clear down to 20psi instantly. It's around 40psi when it shifts to second then slowly climbs to 60.

When the trucks already moving if I floor it, pressure slowly drops from 65psi to around 55psi.

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend.
I believe the stock pump could nearly keep up if you eliminated the restrictions in the fuel system pre-pump. Use a larger diameter fuel pickup or ream out the OEM tubes and use 3/8" i.d. fuel hose or larger. I have very little restriction pre-pump and my stock pump can keep up with the fuel (2psi drop from 72 psi at idle) required with my EH'd AC injectors at WOT!

·
Some Kinda Diesel Oracle
88 Posts

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend. Just thought I'd let you guys know, maybe it's something to look at. I would've never imagined it would do that with stock injectors, but it does...
Just some heads up...I've been chaising a fuel pressure loss issue that suddenly hit me out of no where. I used to NOT lose pressure then all of a sudden I'm getting zero fuel pressure on BOTH guages and truck runs like ####. I replaced filters multiple times, removed Dahl completely, even changed fuel pump. This past weekend, I disconnected the hose from the dahl and blew compressed air through the pickup into the tank...problem appears to be solved. Found a bunch of gunk in my clear Dahl fuel bowl after the blow. Apparently trash was plugging up the pick-up tube. The truck runs so much better now. So I suggest reverse blowing your pick-up.

Hammer

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Just some heads up...I've been chaising a fuel pressure loss issue that suddenly hit me out of no where. I used to NOT lose pressure then all of a sudden I'm getting zero fuel pressure on BOTH guages and truck runs like ####. I replaced filters multiple times, removed Dahl completely, even changed fuel pump. This past weekend, I disconnected the hose from the dahl and blew compressed air through the pickup into the tank...problem appears to be solved. Found a bunch of gunk in my clear Dahl fuel bowl after the blow. Apparently trash was plugging up the pick-up tube. The truck runs so much better now. So I suggest reverse blowing your pick-up.

Hammer
:hehe:

Glad that worked for ya hammie!

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to be installing ITP pre-pump kit and fuel bowl delete. Along with dual filters on the frame and two stock oem fuel pumps.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts

Hammer
That is hilarious. :hehe:

However I will keep it in mind if/when my truck does the same thing. I know it will happen and now I will be prepared.

Keep Strokin'

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
I just replace my whole stock fuel system, and I've got no problems with pressure now. I went with 5/8" pickup tube from ITP, 5/8" line from tank to pump, and 1/2" line from pump to the engine. There's a Dahl 150 for pre-pump filter and an inline Aeromotive (10 micron) post pump. The fuel pump is a Bosch 044 pump that's supposed to flow about 70% more than stock - similar to an A1000, but fit's perfectly into the stock fuel pump bracket.

Here are some pics of it installed, click on the thumbnail to go to the album:

I'm working on a bracket for the Aeromotive filter though. The zip ties hold it in place for now, but it's not my long term solution.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I just replace my whole stock fuel system, and I've got no problems with pressure now. I went with 5/8" pickup tube from ITP, 5/8" line from tank to pump, and 1/2" line from pump to the engine. There's a Dahl 150 for pre-pump filter and an inline Aeromotive (10 micron) post pump. The fuel pump is a Bosch 044 pump that's supposed to flow about 70% more than stock - similar to an A1000, but fit's perfectly into the stock fuel pump bracket.

Here are some pics of it installed, click on the thumbnail to go to the album:

I'm working on a bracket for the Aeromotive filter though. The zip ties hold it in place for now, but it's not my long term solution.
How does the truck start? Do you have long cranking?

Keep Strokin'

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
No problems starting the truck at all. Crank times seem normal to me, sometimes rather short actually.
Awesome. I hope mine goes as well as yours.

Keep Strokin'

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
How much was the pump? I'm gonna order a reg return from DI and do all the fun suff to the fuel tank, but I'm wondering if my stock pump is weak. I know you can get a pump for around 200 on fleebay, I just don,t remember the brand. Its supose to flow about double what a stocker does , anyone with info on it please fill me in, I would highly apreciate it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts