Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I popped the hood today for some reason and noticed that my fuel pressure gauge is only reading 23 PSI. So I blew some air back into the tank, nothing changed, threw in a fresh fuel filter, still no change in pressure. So I'm thinkin that with 205,200 miles on the odometer, that this stock fuel pump is just plain worn out. Sound about right??

I would love to purchase the CPRx from Dieselsite since its the whole fuel system, but right now I just simply just don't have the $$, and I don't want to be driving the truck around at 23 PSI damaging my injectors. So....my question, is there an aftermarket (better than stock) fuel pump available that will bolt up in the stock location, to the stock fuel lines, with no modifications required?? If so how much do they cost??
Ford wants $369 for a new one, but if I can't find a better one that will bolt right in, I guess i'll just buy another stocker till I have the $$ for a complete fuel system.

-THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I swore I would never use another electric pump again after killing 4 of them. I already had purchased a belt driven fuel pump and was planning on installing it when my last pump started acting like hell.

I have yet to see an actual problem with the pumping mechanism itself. Its always the electric motor that goes out.

Well, along came Fuelab with a Brushless electric fuel pump. I'm going to give it a try. And I honestly don't think my problems will continue. I've run brushless motors on the RC truck for years and years. I've been the same one for at least 5 or 6 years now.

I'm going to recommend using one of these Prodigy pumps from Fuelab. It's the only pump I've seen where someone is actually addressing the real issue with electric pumps on these trucks in daily drivers. The MOTOR.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charles,

Will that pump bolt up in the stock location?

Where can I buy one? Link?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The website says that pump must be used with a regulator. Will the stock reg. work? And does that pump bolt right up or will I need some fittings?
No it will bolt into the stock location, and you can use the stock wiring. You may have to change the fittings to something else (it comes with 2 fittings). I didn't keep my stock ones but it looked like they would screw right into the new pump.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
strokin early..99 seemed to have good result with this walbro.
he also had some kind of home brewed setup.
between charles howard, and airflow..

you should come up with something.
i would say fass or air dog but they are costly.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
strokin early..99 seemed to have good result with this walbro.
he also had some kind of home brewed setup.
between charles howard, and airflow..

you should come up with something.
i would say fass or air dog but they are costly.

NWSUPERD has one too, he has some heafty B codes now.. No issues there either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Oh and when you call, say "EFI components" and they will sell it for $99 ..
Is this like some radio show where you have to say the name when they answer the phone to win the contest or what? Can you elaborate on this, please?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Is this like some radio show where you have to say the name when they answer the phone to win the contest or what? Can you elaborate on this, please?
LOL!!! No, its my understanding that EFI components is a competitor and thats why they do that. All I did was say that name and he said "your price will be $99 plus s&h".

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
I recently put in the Walbro pump and ordered it from Arizona TPI. Those guys are really nice, and the fuel pump was a direct bolt in. My old fuel pump was dying a horrible death, and the Walbro was a much much cheaper replacement option than the stock pump. It's also stronger than the stock pump, so it can easily handle the mods on your truck.

One thing to note, and they'll probably mention something on the phone when you order..... the Walbro is not warrantied for diesel applications. So just FYI.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recently put in the Walbro pump and ordered it from Arizona TPI. Those guys are really nice, and the fuel pump was a direct bolt in. My old fuel pump was dying a horrible death, and the Walbro was a much much cheaper replacement option than the stock pump. It's also stronger than the stock pump, so it can easily handle the mods on your truck.

One thing to note, and they'll probably mention something on the phone when you order..... the Walbro is not warrantied for diesel applications. So just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think i'll be ordering a Walbro tomorrow.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I can't compare it with an A1000. It flows enough fuel that my B codes will not make the needle budge off 55psi. I was watching while on the dyno yesterday just to make sure.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Sometimes you have to make changes when the Wizard speaks.......;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well I for one did not have good results using the Walbro as a stock replacement using the factory lines. So i went overkill last week. I ordered the 5/8" pickup from Dennis, ran 5/8" line to the water separator that Airflo is selling, split from there to two walbro 392, then thru a 2 micron post pump for each and 3/8" line from there to the front of each head. So now I basically have one walbro for each head. I put a fuel pressure gauge after one pump and one at the regulator and now there is no change between the two no matter what I do. I also got rid of the factory fuel bowl this way. I took some pictures. It came out nice. Thanks to Dennis @ ITP and Mike from Airflo.....

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
has charles killed a walbro yet?
i remember two sx units and one or two aeromotives....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts