Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Stock Exhaust

4K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  candacef250 
#1 ·
So my husband and I just got pulled over. Tickets are No Pollution Control Device-No Catalytic Converter. Straight Exhaust-No Muffler.

Sooooo, anyone have a stock 6.0L exhaust?

#3 ·
Yes, it's registered in Virginia. We bought it less than 30 days ago as it sits. We showed the officer the bill of sale. He said the dealership was notorious for selling trucks with those missing. He said to talk to the dealership, they technically shouldn't have sold it the way it sits, nor should it have passed inspection.

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow morning and seeing if they'll do anything to right the situation- it's doubtful, but worth a shot.

Worst case, we will owe $600ish in court. And the officer said we could take the dealership to small claims.

Anywho, I'm gonna PM you.

#5 ·
I'd just get Magnaflow high performance cat and an MBRP muffler and stick on it.

#7 ·
I have a 4" MBRP exhaust. Do they make a 4" inlet/outlet MBRP muffler or 4" catalytic converter?

My husband was looking earlier but he's rather upset about all this.

#9 ·
calling u now. thanks man

#16 ·
I like the truck and they helped us out in a situation that most places laught at us at. I love the truck and just want it fixed it. They seem like good people and hopefully they wil right the situation.

#14 ·
Ok so I think I found a cat that will fit with slight modification. This one is 5" inlet/outlet Here is the link cat link they aslo have a 3.5" inlet/outlet. What yall think.

#15 ·
And on second note if your truck has both the pink slip and sticker both valid, which means the truck passed the state inspection then the cop cannot write you a ticket, that inspection states your vehicle meets all the specifications the state of virginia requires, the judge is going to agree with that.All you should have to do is bring that inspection slip in to him and he should drop it

#17 ·
Where did you hear that cuz the trooper saw both and I still got the tickets.

#18 ·
Its not hearing it its the LAW shops are not ALOUD to pass you without your vehicle passing the state inspection, not saying they dont let people slide or look the other way.But once you have the sticker/pink slip and it says you passed and he/she cant argue that ... he/she isnt qualified in vehicle inspection nor does he/she have the tools to prove your vehicle doesnt meet those specifications.

#19 ·
I understand what your saying but I have the tickets in hand. Where does it say this in Va code? I want to bring it to court.

#21 ·
Ok cool. I had called a buddy of mine thats a sergeant in suffolk and he said that i should just go to court and bring pics of the cat and muffler installed on the truck and they should drop it.

#23 ·
just take pictures of another truck with the emission stuff installed. Simple as that. It's a fix it ticket. Also Ian the whole inspection thing is correct but tons of people inspect their trucks with everything on it thats required (cat/muffler) and after it passes they remove it. Or it even passes with out the stuff on their. The driver is still responsible to ensure all federally mandated emissions equipment is on their vehicle. I my self drive around with no emissions stuff on it but if I got a ticket for the above citations. I'd just take pictures to court with the emissions stuff installed. I just got my truck inspected today with out my DPF and muffler not on my truck. 2nd year in a row. Its just all luck of the draw.

But to make an extremely long post summarized. Take a picture of a truck with all the stuff on it and bring that into court. Your tickets will get dropped and most you'll have to pay is court fees. That way your not paying to buy stuff you don't really need.

#24 ·
The dealership gave us a catalytic converter. And cut us a check for a muffler. Both are now sitting in my truck. We're planning on getting them installed as soon as I get my EGR delete kit.

However, at this point, according to my husband, the truck is for sale.
It started making a nasty sound coming from what I believe to be the turbo. And we're just out of money as far as fixing it goes. I don't know anything about diagnosing problems, he's just upset and at work. So for now, truck is parked. I'm calling it broken. This is why I can't stand used vehicles. I plan on calling the dealership at 9:30, they are really cool up there about helping out and usually stand behind their trucks. We'll see. I kinda pissed them off yesterday.

At this point, Josh is afraid I'm gonna grenade the turbo.

Any suggestions on diagnosing this sound?

#27 ·
most diesels come stock without a cat just a cop trying to make his quota probably, diesels dnt need cats because they dont have admissions test, myf350 came stock without a cat only a muffler thats it the rest is pipe running straight from the turbo, the exhaust im looking at now has no cat either magnaflow 4 inch pipeing dual 5 inch tips

#29 ·
And on the 6.0L, in the Virginia State Law, you are required to have a muffler with baffels and a catalytic converter, whether stock or high performace, with all of the inner parts. Technically.

#30 ·
well call rusty eck ford in omaha nebraska and the service manager will tell you that diesel dont need/require nor did most even come with a catalytic converter sounds to me like you need to get some cops down there that know what there talking about.

#31 ·
Chapter 70: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

LOL...No muffler passes the state inspection but is not allowed by VA Code.

VA CODE § 46.2-1047: Muffler cutout, etc., illegal. It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.

Bet this code number is on your ticket. You could argue to the court the code doesn't meet the standard of the inspection code.

§ 46.2-1000. Department to suspend registration of vehicles lacking certain equipment; officer to take possession of registration card, license plates and decals when observing defect in motor vehicle; when to be returned.
The Department shall suspend the registration of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer which the Department or the Department of State Police determines is not equipped with proper (i) brakes, (ii) lights, (iii) horn or warning device, (iv) turn signals, (v) safety glass when required by law, (vi) mirror, (vii) muffler, (viii) windshield wiper, (ix) steering gear adequate to ensure the safe movement of the vehicle as required by this title or when such vehicle is equipped with a smoke screen device or cutout or when such motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer is otherwise unsafe to be operated.
Any law-enforcement officer shall, when he observes any defect in a motor vehicle as described above, take possession of the registration card, license plates, and decals of any such vehicle and retain the same in his possession for a period of fifteen days unless the owner of the vehicle corrects the defects or obtains a new safety inspection sticker from an authorized safety inspection station. When the defect or defects are corrected as indicated above the registration card, license plates, and decals shall be returned to the owner.

#32 ·
^^^^:whs:

as far as Virginia saftey inspection goes. you are to inspect for any pollution controled devices and installation. look on your passanger side valve cover, it says, pcm, tcm, cac, egr, and oc(oxidation catalyst.i.e. cat convertor).if none of that stuff is there, the vehicle can be rejected.Since all that stuff should be there during inspection, techanically the egr delete is just as bad as turbo back exhaust.

lets see if this link will workvsp inspection manual pollution control excerpt

as for the muffler, it doesn't have to be there, but if it is, it must be inspected.vsp inspection manual exhaust system excerpt

#33 ·
^^^^:whs:

as far as Virginia saftey inspection goes. you are to inspect for any pollution controled devices and installation. look on your passanger side valve cover, it says, pcm, tcm, cac, egr, and oc(oxidation catalyst.i.e. cat convertor).if none of that stuff is there, the vehicle can be rejected.Since all that stuff should be there during inspection, techanically the egr delete is just as bad as turbo back exhaust.

lets see if this link will workvsp inspection manual pollution control excerpt
Yepp. EGR delete makes the truck illegal, I'm just not willing to keep it on my truck. If need be, we will register the truck in Michigan as that's where my husband's state of residency is. But for now, Virginia has $651 of my money in their possesion, I'm keeping it registered here until I get harassed about the EGR.

I don't get how my husband drives his truck without getting pulled over.

#35 ·
Exactly my thinking. The only reason I can is because I own the truck. And I'm not stupid enough to tell a state inspector. Lol.

#37 ·
I have yet to spend more than 20mins with my truck getting inspected. Only reason I had to wait almost an hour to get inspected is s because I put it off until the last day of the month. Usually they bs to me on my truck and ask questions. And about your husbands truck passing candace its because his truck doesn't have the emission equipment that the fords would have. but maybe a cat and muffler. I've also never had anyone look under my truck either.

#38 ·
I have yet to spend more than 20mins with my truck getting inspected. Only reason I had to wait almost an hour to get inspected is s because I put it off until the last day of the month. Usually they bs to me on my truck and ask questions. And about your husbands truck passing candace its because his truck doesn't have the emission equipment that the fords would have. but maybe a cat and muffler. I've also never had anyone look under my truck either.
He's required to have a muffler, but no cat. He doesn't, needless to say.

#42 ·
I got one from Twisted Diesel. It's a wanna be muffler, just not MBRP. But it's 4" inlet, 4" outlet, they'd cut it out of an exhaust system they sold to a guy cuz he didn't want a muffler.

#43 ·
I saw you and your husband in court on friday. I got the same exact 2 tickets for my 6.0 as well from the say trooper. hes a ####ing dick. I found a picture of a stock exhaust on google, printed it out and took that with me. Dismissed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.