Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK another newbie question.....

Last year I bought a F250 PS 2wd low mile (80k) '96 all stock with no mods....

Fast forward to this year and a low mile (126k) '96 PS 4X4 a friends dad had (I have been trying to buy for 5 years) finally decided to sell it so I bought this '96 F250 4X4 and it came with a Edge Evolution programmer (and I sold the 2wd)..... It was set to the 40hp/80 setting.....

Here is the problem... After seeing what most have said/ posted about chip vs programmer I thought I would just put it back to stock for now till I get a chip for it.

I reloaded it back to what should have been the "stock" setting but it still runs the same. I say it runs the same because when I had both trucks before I sold the 2wd, the 4x4 did run better with more response. Now after putting it back to "stock" I think someone overwrote the stock program with the programmer? The father said his son may have changed it???

So now here is the question.... Will my old '96 2wd stock PCM factory settings be the same as this 4x4 if both have the same gears?

I can get hold of the guy and re-save his stock setting from my old truck OR I have a neighbor that has a '97 2wd that is stock and re-load his settings... Are they both the same as what my 4x4 had or would the 2wd '97 be different? All 3 trucks have the same gears.

What can I do?
Thanks,
barn

Attachments

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry ...All 3 are PS, 4:10 gears and autos...

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Diff ratio isn't relevant (tone ring for the VSS signal is on the ring gear, OUTPUT of the diff). The only role 4x4 plays is with the automatics, and only in 4LO. It has to "know" you're in 4LO in order to shift a lot sooner. But IIRC, that's programmed into all the auto PCMs. At the very least, your '96 2WD auto PCM will run the 4x4 truck in 2HI and 4HI.

Man, two CLEAN ECLBs; nice (and a two-tone to boot). But for the love of pete, get some caps on those Alcoas!....

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! Those are not Alcoa's .... The 4x4 has the stock OBS Ford rims.... the stock caps are plastic and cheep so I left them off. The neighbors truck has lost 2 off them so the hubs are finished in 100% stainless now.... and that will not fall off or break.

So should I get it re-flashed at a dealer just to make sure or will the chip I buy take care of that if I ever wanted to go back to true stock?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you're referring to your existing PCM, the one you think that the Edge has left modified and not re-flashed to stock, I would get it re-flashed, just for good measure. Even if the chip you choose to buy has a "stock" setting, you still have a "contaminated" PCM. If you ever have a running issue, one of the first things to do, with a modified truck, is to "revert" to stock, to see if the problem is with the mods, or something underlying. Without a stock-programmed PCM to revert to, you won't have that option.

You could make some money selling those OEM caps. Properly installed, they DON'T fall off, contrary to the cheap aftermarket eBay knock-offs.

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I gave a rear to the neighbor since he lost his but I'll put the others on Craigslist...

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I called Edge and they said that by just pushing the wrong buttons with their unit that you can not overwrite the programmer.... they said the only way to overwrite the saved stock program was to use it on another truck... Sounds correct....
If I wanted to get it re-flashed what do you guys think Ford dealer would charge?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I remember right we charge something like an hour to program a already installed pcm that just needs a program, and whatever your local dealers labor cost is per hour would be pretty close. If I were you, id try and find someone with an ids to do it for you outside of the dealer/ pay someone on the side to do it. It takes all of 10 minutes to flash the older pcms.

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks 87 I'll check around... Used to work at a Pontiac dealer so maybe one of those guys can help me. I just want to know I'm stock and go from there.

I have a couple guys tell me that the Edge will not hurt my trans as long as I keep the settings to the economy or tow settings. They said when people have had problems was on higher mile trucks maybe (mine is only 126k) and pushing them to the limit...

One guy has ran his Edge Evo settings for 8+ years with no problems using the tow setting and he likes keeping the EGT's below 1000 but he will take it up to 1200 at times. He said some people just push it all to the max and that is what may cause problems.....so I don't know. :confused:

I just want a quiet, reliable truck that will tow and haul what I need for vacations. I just leave the camper on all the time and when we need to take the Old Bronco out.... Hell I used that 4x4 stick sm. block GM 3/4 truck for 20 years with no problems other than I needed a bumper sticker on it that said "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you"! :evilLOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts